Windows Backup Error

Hi, I am getting the following error when I start the Windows backup MMC:

A fatal error occurred during a Windows Server backup snap-in (wbadmin.msc) operation.

Error Details:

The server threw an exception.

Any suggestions appreciated.  I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling with no luck. Thank, Rick

June 16th, 2010 9:47pm

Hello.

Can you collect the inbox traces under %windir%\Logs\WindowsServerBackup\*.etl and send them across to sriramb-nospam@microsoft.com (remove the -nospam phrase to get the correct ID)?

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 6th, 2010 5:46am

Has there been any resolution to this?  I have been experiencing the same fatal error on a clean install of Windows 8.1 on a new laptop when using Wbadmin.exe from a command line (Wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:z: -include:C: -quiet -allCritical).  Curiously I can create and restore system images on the same system using the "System Image Backup" function under File History.  Any assistance/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
November 30th, 2013 4:09pm

Rick S,

Have you tried wbadmin via command line ?

have you tried managing Windows Backup from any other computer?

- Anantesh

December 1st, 2013 8:50am

Anentesh,

I have tried it via command line on a windows 8.1 (64-bit) with same failure.  I am also using wbadmin from the command line on a Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop and a Windows 8.1 (32-bit) desktop with no problems at all.

-Mike

December 1st, 2013 12:58pm

What about trying ti manage it remotely?

Does the backup work then ?

- Anantesh

December 2nd, 2013 5:49pm

I"m having the same issue, any solution / suggestion?

I tried these couple times, it worked then it stop again

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2930294

Thanks

Sam

May 12th, 2014 1:45am

I experienced similar issue on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials after my first manual backup.  Found the fix in another thread that also noted the wbengine.exe throws exception code: 0xc0000005 to Application log when the Snapin fails to start with error message "The server threw an exception".   Easy fix was to delete the backup catalog, and you can find more details on how I fixed in that thread and my reply. 
September 11th, 2015 11:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics