Windows Azure or Microsoft Sync Framework
Hi, I am developing a C# based desktop application which has GUI developed using WPF.
My application has some SQLite database where I save users data.

1) Now I want to place this database in the Cloud so that if user lost it in local device, it can be fetched from cloud from anywhere.
2) Every time whenever local database changed it should be synchronized with data which is there in Cloud. i.e., there should be bidirectional synchronization.

Now I have two options. One is Windows Azure and other is Microsoft Sync Framework.

Please tell me which one I can go for now?

Though Windows Azure is not free, I can go for it. But is it useful?
Since my application is C#/WPF desktop application, can I go with Azure?

Any help please?

Thanks
September 6th, 2013 1:49pm

Hi, I am developing a C# based desktop application which has GUI developed using WPF.
My application has some SQLite database where I save user's data.

1) Now I want to place this database in the Cloud so that if user lost it in local device, it can be fetched from cloud from anywhere.
2) Every time whenever local database changed it should be synchronized with data which is there in Cloud. i.e., there should be bidirectional synchronization.

Now I have two options. One is Windows Azure and other is Microsoft Sync Framework.

Please tell me which one I can go for now?

Though Windows Azure is not free, I can go for it. But is it useful?
Since my application is C#/WPF desktop application, can I go with Azure?

Any help please?

Thanks
  • Edited by SaiMm Friday, September 06, 2013 2:18 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2013 5:17pm

I don't think Windows Azure vs Sync Framework is a good comparison.

Windows Azure is a cloud offering consisting of many different products/services. Sync Framework is an synchronization SDK.

You can use Sync Framework to sync a locally stored database to a database in Windows Azure.

since you're using SQLite, there's no built-in sync provider for it in Sync Framework. You will have to use the Sync Framework Toolkit to write your own client sync provider.

September 9th, 2013 4:47am

Hi,

JuneT has pointed out the correct direction,I would recommend that please check the link below

about Windows Azure or Microsoft Sync Framework.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/55e80ce6-9609-44f1-8cef-a854227121f4/windows-azure-or-microsoft-sync-framework

In addition, please do not repeat post.

Thanks

• Edited by Mercop002 Monday, September 09, 2013 9:49 AM
September 9th, 2013 12:49pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I apologize for not removing particular post from .Net section.

Thanks

September 10th, 2013 8:55am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I got your point. But, my application is C#/WPF based.

Can I use WPF while developing application on Azure?

or

Can I go with normal desktop WPF application and for synchronization, I can go with Sync Framework toolkit (As you said, Azure database as Server database)?

Thanks

• Edited by SaiMm Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:07 AM
September 10th, 2013 9:07am

WPF will be for your client app front-end, there's no stopping you connecting it to various Azure services.

what would you put on the Azure platform? database?

September 10th, 2013 10:06am

Yes. I have to synchronize SQLite database which is in my local machine to Azure database and vice versa.

Thanks

September 10th, 2013 10:25am

Yes. I have to synchronize SQLite database which is in my local machine to Azure database and vice versa.

Thanks

Hello,

It seems that you want to synchronize the data with SQLite database and Windows Azure SQL Database. If so, the SQL Data Syc feature of SQL database is not support your requirement as SQL Data Sync (Preview) currently supports only SQL Server and SQL Database.

Reference:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj127278.aspx

Regards,
Fanny Liu

September 12th, 2013 11:36am

Hi Fanny Liu, thanks for the reply.

I have gone through that link which you have given. I got your point.

So can I use Microsoft Sync Framework 2.1 to synchronize SQLite to SQL Azure database and vice versa?

Thanks

Sairam

September 12th, 2013 11:48am

as already mentioned above, Sync Fx doesn't come with a sync provider for SQLite. You have to use the Sync Framework Toolkit.
September 12th, 2013 5:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics