Windows Azure Pack - VMM failed to deploy service through F5 Load Balancer

I use server 2012 R2 (Windows Azure Pack) to deploy 2-tier service ( VMM -> Library -> Create Service Template -> Select two tier application -> Add F5 Load balancer -> Use connector to link NIC to Server Connection and link Client Connection to VM network   ). I was able to set up F5 Load balancer (virtual appliance) on Hyper V. I checked  VMM Orchestrator was able to create VIP pool and member correctly on F5 Appliance. I get the following error. I'm not sure how to resolve, If anyone experience this issue before, please let me know how to fix it. I copied the error log below. Thank you

Error (22042)
The service XXXXXXX was not successfully deployed. Review the event log to determine the cause and corrective actions.

Recommended Action
The deployment can be restarted by retrying the job.

Error (21426)
Execution of DataCenterManager.LB::AddLBVIP on the configuration provider a1af2238-5665-454a-8560-64fafbfe3385 failed. Detailed exception: Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataCenterManager.LB.LBConnectionFailedException: There is an error in XML document (246, 74). ---> F5Networks.Protocols.iControl.iControlException: There is an error in XML document (246, 74).

Recommended Action
Check the documentation for the configuration provider or contact the publisher support.

Error (22725)
VMM received computer name vmmBN6 for VM vmmBN6.domain.com. Expected computer name is vmmBN6.domain.com.

Recommended Action
Ensure that the VM has joined the right domain or workgroup and then retry the operation.

Error (20400)
1 parallel subtasks failed during execution.

Error (20400)
1 parallel subtasks failed during execution.

Error (21952)
Application deployment failed for one or more tiers or application hosts in the service XXXXXXXXX. Check job logs to get more information on the failed operation.

Recommended Action
Check error messages and retry the operation if needed.

Thanks

May 21st, 2014 11:40pm

This error is rather common.

Your VM "vmmBN6" was instructed to join a domain, and failed (for some reason that VMM does not know).  Thus when VMM checked the name of the VM it only got "vmmBN6" back and it expected the full VM FQDN of "vmmBN6.domain.com"

So, logon to vmmBN6's console and see what is going on.

Is there a network issue?  Is there a DNS resolution issue?  Was there a typo?  etc.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 22nd, 2014 12:28am

Your load balancer XML document error is a bit different.

But the F5 is tossing the exception back at SCVMM.

And since you are doing this through Orchestrator, WAP really is not involved unless you are driving your automation from WAP.

And there is an Azure Pack forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=windowsazurepack

if the issue is only WAP and not some action that you are performing on WAP.

May 22nd, 2014 12:30am

Neodao.... the current F5 LB Provider is not VMM R2 compatible, and fails when attempting to apply the health monitors for the VIP creation, hence the exception. We are working on an update to the provider that will fix this.

-Ryan

May 22nd, 2014 3:21am

Hi Ryankorock,

Sorry to revive an old post but is there any update on compatibility? We are running SCVMM 2012 R2 Build 3.2.7768.0 with an F5 BIG-IP running "11.6.0 Build 0.0.401 Final". We see the exact same error 

Error (21426)

Execution of DataCenterManager.LB::AddLBVIP on the configuration provider a1af2238-5665-454a-8560-64fafbfe3385 failed. Detailed exception: Microsoft.SystemCenter.DataCenterManager.LB.LBConnectionFailedException: There is an error in XML document (246, 74). ---> F5Networks.Protocols.iControl.iControlException: There is an error in XML document (246, 74).

The plugin creates everything on the F5, pools, nodes, and virtual server. We have tried with and without a health probe with no luck.

December 1st, 2014 12:04pm

Got it to deploy, looks like an incompatibility with the F5 pack and 2012R2. It is related to F5 health probes, deploy without any probes and it works.
  • Proposed as answer by Microsoft Jim Thursday, January 22, 2015 11:04 AM
January 22nd, 2015 2:04pm

Got it to deploy, looks like an incompatibility with the F5 pack and 2012R2. It is related to F5 health probes, deploy without any probes and it works.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics