Windows Azure Backup error: Event Log is corrupt

I running Server 2012 R2 Essentials with Windows Azure Backup 1.0.8236.0 installed. It was working correctly and at some point Windows Azure Backup started displaying the error message "Event Log is corrupt. Only messages for currently running operations will be displayed." at the top of the utility. I _think_ the backups are actually working, but it's hard to tell because there's no details listed in the Jobs box on the screen.

I can't even find an event log for Windows Azure Backup. What do I need to do to repair this problem?

October 16th, 2014 2:04pm

I got the same thing 2 days ago and I can't find a fix.  It happened after I saw the "there is a new version" on the alert tab so I decided to upgrade.  The upgrade failed and removed my icon.  I rebooted, got my icon back, but now nothing shows in the alert tab.   I have the "Event log is corrupt" message at the top.  The available recovery points>view details stop when I did the upgrade.  I have Server 2012 standard and the same version as you of backup. 
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 17th, 2014 3:59pm

Actually my situation may be exactly the same as yours. It was working fine and I saw the notice about an update. I tried to install that update and it failed (several times). It was a couple of days later that I realized that the event log problem was there. I wasn't sure the events were related, but after seeing your message they almost certainly are.

I tried installing the Windows Azure Backup update again (KB2997692 to be specific) just now. It errored out and rolled back just like before.

Windows Azure Backup installation error screen

Anyone have any ideas what the 1603 error really means? I wasn't all that worried about getting the update but it seems likely that the failure to install is what's causing the other problem (which does worry me).

October 17th, 2014 4:58pm

I too ran into this issue with the same update notification, update error and consequent event log corruption. Anxiously awaiting a potential fix as this is a clients server with critical backups required should catastrophe happen (we have additional backups taking place but I prefer not to have one only). 
  • Proposed as answer by Maleb233 Sunday, October 19, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Unproposed as answer by Maleb233 Sunday, October 19, 2014 6:04 PM
October 18th, 2014 3:47am

so this was way annoying, but think I found a work around (seemed to have worked for me at least).

I had the same issue after trying to upgrade the azure client. Spent some time trying to tweak the registry, deleting files, etc.  but ultimately came down to this, no reboots required.

- uninstalled the old Azure agent from "Program and features"

- installed new agent  (had to go through the new registration process with downloading the vaultcredentials file, but using my old recovery key during the registration wizard)

- followed this thread for fixing Windows Essentials Dashboard > https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/81a4f3a3-88cc-4f71-9129-77315b39a162/cannot-connect-to-the-windows-azure-backup-agent?forum=winserveressentials

after all that, was able at least to go in and validate my scheduled job settings.  Went ahead and resaved to make sure, but will see tomorrow if everything runs ok.

October 19th, 2014 6:19pm

Thank you Maleb233! I think you may have given us a workable solution. So far it looks good and if it continues to work I'll mark your post as the answer.

A couple of comments for others following this thread:

1. The new version appears to have installed to a different location than the previous version. It was installed in "C:\Program Files\Windows Azure Backup Agent" and now it's in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent". Does any one know if it's safe to delete that old folder?
  2. I didn't have to do the fix to the dashboard that Maleb233 mentioned.
  3. I downloaded a new vault credential and had to enable it in the Azure Portal to allow the server to reregister to the Azure vault. I now have an extra certificate in the store but I guess it doesn't hurt anything and I left it there.

October 20th, 2014 8:15am

Thank you Maleb233. I was able to get it running again following your advice. I did have to re-register the server but this was easy enough after enabling this to be done through the portal site. Thanks again and it's a shame Microsoft hasn't jumped in here but at least it's fixed now.
October 21st, 2014 7:51am

Looks like Maleb233's solution works great. It's been a few days and several scheduled backups and working fine. I did delete the old "C:\Program Files\Windows Azure Backup Agent" folder and it didn't cause any problems. I wonder if the name change from "Windows Azure Backup" to "Microsoft Azure Backup" (and corresponding location changes) was responsible for some of the problems?

Thanks Maleb233!

October 24th, 2014 4:39pm

For anyone who is getting the error "event log inaccessible" in windows server backup, you can open this to see the current and past jobs:

wlbadmin.msc

Just opening it that way fixed it for me in the regular WSB app.  Google found this post when searching that error.

July 2nd, 2015 12:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics