Windows 8 can hibernate with Hyper-V enable while Windows server 2012 can't

I've seen some articles on enabling hibernation when the Hypervisor is disabled. I also see a lot of MVPs say that Hyper-V is desire for Server solutions that will run critical applications  24x7.     Finally, Microsoft has deploy hyper-v(so called client Hyper-V) on windows 8 with hibernation enable.  But I still cannot hibernate my windows 2012 server with hyper-V enable.   

Now, we know  there is no technique issue for hyper-v computer to hibernate.   Why  do MS  not allow us to do so on server OS? 

November 20th, 2012 4:26pm

Maybe it's because that is not what one would typically want of a server.  Microsoft includes only a basic video driver in Windows Server.  Same with audio drivers.  Features like high-end graphics, quality audio, and hibernation are features for the client.  Yes, you can most likely find a few cases where a server is only needed for a few hours a day( and that can be acommodated by turning off the server), but in today's world, most companies want their servers available 24 hours a day.  Letting a server hibernate would create an environment that requires extra management.  I'm sure that if enough customers asked Microsoft for the ability to hibernate servers, they would oblige; after all, they obliged the developer community to hibernate their development machines with Hyper-V installed.  So my guess is that Microsoft has not received very many requests for this feature.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 20th, 2012 5:30pm

Tim is correct here - hibernating a VM or a Server is just not something that people are wanting or asking for as it is not required.  Not sure why anyone would want to hibernate a Server really except for in a test environment.  Most Servers these days (especially Hyper-V Servers), need to normally be running 24x7x365 with 99.9% of uptime (in an ideal world!!).

At the moment I guess it is just a design decision, considering that the Server O/S is designed with Businesses in mind, whereas an O/S like Windows 8 are designed with consumers in mind.  (I am really struggling to see why anyone would want to hibernate a Server).

November 20th, 2012 5:47pm

Tim is correct here - hibernating a VM or a Server is just not something that people are wanting or asking for as it is not required.  Not sure why anyone would want to hibernate a Server really except for in a test environment.  Most Servers these days (especially Hyper-V Servers), need to normally be running 24x7x365 with 99.9% of uptime (in an ideal world!!).

At the moment I guess it is just a design decision, considering that the Server O/S is designed with Businesses in mind, whereas an O/S like Windows 8 are designed with consumers in mind.  (I am really struggling to see why anyone would want to hibernate a Se

November 20th, 2012 7:10pm

An added feature needs to be tested to ensure it interacts with all other installed features which adds complexity, it's entirely possible that there are server roles (other than Hyper-V) that would fail if hibernation was switched on. Additionally to this, vendors would have to check against hibernation when preparing their applications and documentation.

While I can understand your thought process for why it might be included as an option, the focus of server design will be stability first and low utilized odd features way down the line.

November 20th, 2012 8:02pm

Hi,

MS KB 954418 explains such question, although it was write for Windows Server 2008:

When you enable Hyper-V technology on a Windows Server 2008-based portable computer, you lose the sleep power feature and the hibernate power feature. These power features are available before you enable Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2008-based portable computer. Additionally, you cannot re-enable these power features.

Because the sleep and hibernate power features are not available, these features are not enabled when you close the lid of a portable computer. Then, when the battery of a portable computer runs out of power, the portable computer may shut down or turn off, and the portable computer does not go into hibernation. Because the portable computer does not go into hibernation, you may lose any unsaved data.

Sleep and hibernate power features are not available when you enable Hyper-V technology on a Windows Server 2008-based portable computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954418
Hyper-V R2: Changes for "no hypervisor" booting
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/01/21/hyper-v-r2-changes-for-no-hypervisor-booting.as

November 21st, 2012 10:41am

I suppose it is preferrable for a Windows Server 2012 to crash in a power outage rather than gracefully hibernate. That does not make sense. I think the hibernate option needs to be there FOR the stability argument especially if the server is hosting hyper-v clients.
  • Proposed as answer by M C 3 hours 40 minutes ago
June 11th, 2013 11:21pm

This is what I'm saying.  When the power goes out on a small business server, and the UPS dies, Microsoft would prefer data loss over hibernation?

September 16th, 2013 2:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics