Windows 8 and IE10 not accepting Proxy Settings via Group Policy

We have recently introduced a couple of Windows 8 computers in our network, and we are having issues applying the Internet Explorer Proxy Server settings.

We use a Microsoft TMG 2010 server as our proxy server for accessing the internet.  We have been using a GPO with the following settings to automatically configure our Windows 7 computers running IE9 with the appropriate Proxy settings:

User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Connection/Proxy Settings

• Enable Proxy Settings : Checked
  • Address of proxy : server.domain.local
  • Port : 8080
  • Use the same proxy server for all addresses : Checked
  • Exceptions : Here we have a list of several internal or partner sites that should not be proxied.

This GPO has worked beautifully for our Windows XP and Windows 7 users with IE 7, 8 and 9.  Now with Windows 8 and IE10, this no longer works.  Ive therefore added a Windows Server 2012 Domain Controller to the network, and using GPMC on that new DC, I created a new GPO with the following settings:

User Configuration\Preferences\Control Panel Settings\Internet Settings\Internet Explorer 10

Now, seeing as these are preferences, its a little different.  But, Ive checked off the option Use a proxy server for your LAN as well as Bypass proxy server for local addresses.  Then I click on Advanced and setup all my proxy settings the way I would like them, including the proxy server name, port and exceptions list.

When this new group policy gets applied to my Windows 8 PC, the only setting that gets applied is the Use a proxy server for your LAN.  It does not configure the name or port of the proxy server nor does it configure the exceptions list.  If I go back to the GPMC, and edit the new GPO, the settings are all there.  However, if I just view the settings from the main GPMC screen (without opening the GPO itself),  I dont see all of those settings (again, only the one Use a proxy server)

What am I missing???

December 20th, 2012 6:45pm

Hello,

There is no Internet Explorer Maintenance CSE in Windows 8 anymore.

There is a list of replacements from Microsoft:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh846772.aspx

Anyway, you can do the most things with GPP.

BTW:

If you use GPPs you need to be aware of the F5-F8 keys:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2008/10/13/red-green-gp-preferences-doesn-t-work-even-though-the-policy-applied-and-after-gpupdate-force.as

December 20th, 2012 6:47pm

Thank you Matthias for that link explaining the F5-F8 keys.  That is exactly what my issue was!!  Thanks again.
December 20th, 2012 7:37pm

I am in a 2008 Domain to which I have joined my first Windows 8 computer. Under one of the user OUs I've created a TEST Windows8 OU and dropped my user account in there. Linked and Configured User Config GPO using RSAT on my Windows 8 machine and set IE 10 settings via Preferences; Have set it to Enforced.

I have understood the sugnificance of the function keys and green vs dotted-red lines. Some of my Internet Settings now apply (ie: Home Page) The proxy settings however do not get applied.

The Automatically detect settings box is Unchecked and highlighted green. In the LAN Settings I have "Use a proxy server ..." and " Bypass proxy" Checked and underlined green. In the Advanced I have all 4 protocols filled in as well as Exceptions separated by semicolons.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 1st, 2013 10:06pm

SOLOVED! I was missing a few settings. All my IE10 policies now apply. Advise to anyone having similar issues: triple check the green and dotted-red lines.
April 2nd, 2013 3:25pm

Hello !!!

Can you help me with this issue? My GPO are working with IE 9 on Windows 7, i did the update to IE10 and the GPO are not working, i was checking in other comnputers and the issues is with the computer with IE10 on Windows 7, I dont have any windows 8 or windows 2012

Any idea? in the GPO the "internet explorer maintenance polycy procession " is Enabled and also is ckeck "Allow processing across a slow network connection" and "Process even if the GP objects have not changed"

The GPO is for the proxy settings and exceptions

Thanks for your help

April 2nd, 2013 6:55pm

Can you help me with this issue? My GPO are working with IE 9 on Windows 7, i did the update to IE10 and the GPO are not working

If you have IE 10 installed, IEM won't work anymore.

April 2nd, 2013 8:47pm

Thank you!! do i have other option?

I was reading about IEAK 10 and i did a test, but i have to install in all the computers and i have almost 5000 computers, I am doing changes in the IE frecuently each month, so the GPO is the Best option for me.

April 2nd, 2013 10:41pm

so the GPO is the Best option for me.

You can do almost every IE configuration with Group Policy Preferences Internet Settings.

Otherwise you need to get the registry keys and use Group Policy Preferences Registry.

April 3rd, 2013 9:15am

Marc, I am experiencing the near exact situation at a client of mine.   I've been messing with the Preferences all day, but I cannot seem to get the IE Proxy fields to apply, though other settings from the same IE10 Preference section do.  

This is a longshot, but I would love to see a screenshot of your configuration for this tab:

May 16th, 2013 8:55pm

Hi Sven;

I haven't attached the print screen as it looks exactly like yours.  One thing that I have noticed, is that if you try to configure other IE Preferences in the same policy, the PROXY settings don't seem to work.  I would recommend that you create a separate "Internet Settings" for the proxy server configurations.

Hope this helps.

May 16th, 2013 9:16pm

I was already using a segregated policy for just IE settings, but I suppose I could try to segregate it even more.   I'll post back and let you know if that works.  

I spent all day yesterday going through the existing policies, and Denying any other policy that might also try to configure IE settings... there were several.  But alas, still no Proxy though other preferences do apply.  

For others in this thread, I am also getting the 'Internet Explorer branding failed' warning when examining a Group Policy Results wizard for my test Windows 8 VM.   I don't know if this is the direct reason the Preferences are failing, or just something else that doesn't work yet.  

Any other comments would be appreciated!

May 17th, 2013 11:43am

Ok, after a few hours of frustration and testing, I have got this working.   Here's what I did:

I denied all other policies that tried to set any IE settings via GPO to my test Windows 8 VM.   I am still getting an error in the Group Policy Logging that the "Internet Explorer branding failed - the specified procedure cannot be found" but that is not related to this issue.  

I created a new policy for IE10 Preferences using my Windows 2012 DC.  I discovered that it's very important that you set the Proxy settings in this order:  

In the LAN Settings on the Connections Tab, check the Proxy server field, and then add your proxy server.   You can't seem to enter an address in this field unless it's a new policy.  Do this first!   Then you can modify add'l Preferences as needed, ensuring the fields you want enforced are underlined in green.

In the instance where you can't enter an address in the Proxy server field, don't waste your time thinking that the fields on the Advanced option will take effect for the GPO... because they won't.  Start over with a new Preference policy.  

May 20th, 2013 3:26pm

In the instance where you can't enter an address in the Proxy server field, don't waste your time thinking that the fields on the Advanced option will take effect for the GPO... because they won't.  Start over with a new Preference policy.  

Sven - are you suggesting (and I've got a couple of hours of frustration on this myself) that you simply CANNOT change the fields that appear after clicking the Advanced button?  i.e.  the "Exceptions" list?

That is what I'm beginning to believe.

If this is true...is it possible to create another GPO with ONLY the Exceptions that will hopefully, not override the proxy value?

Thanks!

June 10th, 2013 9:16pm

Correct.  I found that once your Preference is in the 'state' where you can't enter an address in the Proxy field, any of the Advanced fields will not take effect.  You'll need to start over!   Sorry for the late reply.
June 12th, 2013 5:35pm

Am 10.06.2013 23:16, schrieb LewTech: > Sven - are you suggesting (and I've got a couple of hours of > frustration on this myself) that you simply CANNOT change the fields > that appear after clicking the *Advanced *button?   Yes. It is a known bug in the UI. Start over again ;-)  
June 12th, 2013 9:51pm

HI Guys,

THERE IS A BUG IN SERVER 2012 GP for IE10 and WIN7

See http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/342202-ie-10-group-policy-help-needed-i-think-i-ve-found-a-bug

and don't touch that advanced button or you'll regret it!!

June 17th, 2013 2:48pm

Am 10.06.2013 23:16, schrieb LewTech: > Sven - are you suggesting (and I've got a couple of hours of > frustration on this myself) that you simply CANNOT change the fields > that appear after clicking the *Advanced *button?   Yes. It is a known bug in the UI. Start over again ;-)  
June 27th, 2013 2:43pm

Did you ever find out if the proxy exceptions successfully merge?
September 9th, 2013 3:03pm

I have discovered that exceptions ARE applying just fine in my environment when the IE box is greyed out and that appears to be acceptable functionality per Microsoft support. It has been some time since I have talked with MS Support and it feels like their support has gone downhill. I had to tell them that IE10 could be managed with Windows 8 and still apply the policy to IE10 on a 2008 R2 client. They suggested IEAK only and then came back and said gpp preferences was ok.

Another issue I found was with the way "the use the same proxy server for all protocol" works.

Asish Sinha has checked with the Escalation Engineers and we are aware of this behavior and the registry will be created for each protocol in IE 10 when the "use the same proxy server for all protocol" is checked when done through Group Policy Preference file, but there are no functionality loss with this change. It is just that the registry will look different in IE10 than that of IE9 but the functionality will be the same. There is no KB article for that but an internal document which talks about this behavior in IE 10.

You can view the same in registry in the below location:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings ->Proxy server

You will see separate but same proxy settings for HTTP, Secure and FTP in IE10.

Socks is a legacy protocol that is still available, currently there are no applications that use it and it should not have any impact on the functionality of other protocols.

September 16th, 2013 8:50pm

how?   Icant even make the option "IE10 "  appear in  Internet Setting under preferences

I just get options for IE 5 & 6 , 7 & 8

Im working with same installation,   Windows 2008 r2   with IE 10 installed

How can I create a set of policies that actually applies to IE 10 (windows 7 clients)????

October 1st, 2013 2:54pm

Do some search... Basically, edit the XML and change the hidden iexplore.exe version filter to "99.0.0.0".
October 2nd, 2013 9:38am

Work arround:

1. On the tab Connections, click LAN settings.
  2. Check to enable the Use a proxy server... option.
  3. Click"Advanced...
  4. Fill in Exceptions and click OK.
  5. Press F5.
  6. Fill in Address: and Port: en press F5.
  7. Check Bypass proxy... and click OK.

When you try to change the exceptions, you have to remake a new Internet Explorer 10 item under Control Panel Settings/Internet Settings.

Greetings

December 6th, 2013 8:41am

What about, for example:

if a laptop gets an IP that is outside their office network, there should be no proxy, if they got the segment inside their office, then the appropriate proxy applies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

PJ 

December 11th, 2013 5:55am

What about, for example:

if a laptop gets an IP that is outside their office network, there should be no proxy, if they got the segment inside their office, then the appropriate proxy applies.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

PJ 

PJ,

for that purpose you would use a proxy pac file inside your network. if IE can't find a proxy outside your network it goes DIRECT by default. it's really quite simple - configure dhcp or dns to point clients to your proxy server, which based on your preference provides proxy.pac or wpad.dat containing the required info. it would look something like this:

proxy.pac

. function FindProxyForURL(url, host)

{

if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "10.10.10.0", "255.255.255.0")

return "PROXY [Proxy Address]:[Port]";

else

return "DIRECT";

}

then configure IE to either use auto config or auto-script. there are heaps of templates and step-by-step how-to's out there, TechNet should always be your first address.

January 10th, 2014 3:52pm

I face the same issue, it works first time and when I edit or update some changes, the proxy server disappears.

Create a new with proxy server and exception, click apply

Works fine for me.

Thanks

Alagar

January 20th, 2014 8:22am

We have a mix of IE8 up to IE11 and has added 2012 DC's.

I have a GP that set up the proxy using the old IE Maintenance.

What I want to know is what IEAK should I download and to use that will work on IE8 9 10 and 11.

• Edited by jwanner Wednesday, January 29, 2014 3:07 PM
January 29th, 2014 3:06pm

Thank You!, Exactly what I needed. This resolved my issue.

February 5th, 2014 7:00pm

I found how to make this work

Create your GPO for IE 10.

GO to the connections settings tab, click advanced, type in your proxy address and port number only in the HTTP section.  Add any exceptions to the bottom in the box (This must be done before you exit this portion).

Click okay, you will see in the proxy settings are it will list the proxy address as HTTP=IP Address of your porxy.

Simply remocve the HTTP= portion and leave only the IP address.

Click the check box "Do not use Proxy for internel host", click okay. click apply.

Go back under the connection and advanced (do not make any changes or click Okay) and you will see the settings have taken and remain.

I tested this on my workstations and it works fine now but you have to follow the above procedure exactly (if fill in more than one are aunder advanced for either HTTP, FTP, Secure,Socks it will break, simply remove all by one IP address and you can edit it again)

Hope this helps everyone.

• Proposed as answer by jcjunior2 Tuesday, April 01, 2014 9:30 PM
April 1st, 2014 9:28pm

I found how to make this work

Create your GPO for IE 10.

GO to the connections settings tab, click advanced, type in your proxy address and port number only in the HTTP section.  Add any exceptions to the bottom in the box (This must be done before you exit this portion).

Click okay, you will see in the proxy settings are it will list the proxy address as HTTP=IP Address of your porxy.

Simply remocve the HTTP= portion and leave only the IP address.

Click the check box "Do not use Proxy for internel host", click okay. click apply.

Go back under the connection and advanced (do not make any changes or click Okay) and you will see the settings have taken and remain.

I tested this on my workstations and it works fine now but you have to follow the above procedure exactly (if fill in more than one are aunder advanced for either HTTP, FTP, Secure,Socks it will break, simply remove all by one IP address and you can edit it again)

Hope this helps everyone.

Hi jcjunior2,

Do you have a link for GPO IE 10? How to install it GPO IE 10?

I have a same issue. I am using windows server 2008 32 bit.

Thanks

July 25th, 2014 9:25am

Hi All, - (Revised Answer by myself)<o:p></o:p>

I banged my head against the keyboard on this one for some time trying to get this group policy to apply.  I did every thing that was suggested, learning about the F6 and F7 keys to Green underline and Red underline the options required and not required.  I even gave in and used the registry settings and it still did not work.  It turned out that I had 2 issues.  The first one is obvious and the second not so obvious, this is how it is setup:

I have a 2012 R2 Standard DC with Windows 8.1 clients/workstations and IE 11.  As you are aware you must make sure that the following are underlined in green:

Automatically detect settings - (but not ticked)<o:p></o:p>

Use proxy server for your LAN<o:p></o:p>

Bypass Proxy for local address<o:p></o:p>

Next I made sure that the following had red dotted lines:

Address<o:p></o:p>

This still didn't work, so I went through my 'Do Not use proxy servers for addresses beginning with' removed all of these and then re-added one by one until the problem materialized.  The first issue was when using wildcards I had added an entry with the following:

http://domain.subdomain.com/*

Then caused my proxy fields not to be applied, I re-added this just with:<o:p></o:p>

http://domain.subdomain.com/

<o:p>This next one is IMPORTANT.</o:p>

I had these entries in a Word document of which I had copied and pasted from the entry box for 'Do Not use proxy servers for addresses beginning with'.  As shown in the screen shot above provided by SVEN_BURGER I had very similar entries:

http://domain.subdomain.com/;10.*.*.*;172.27.*.*;http://172.27.*.*

Each time I copied and pasted the line (+ more) above the proxy field on the Windows 8.1 client be blank after using 'gpupdate /force' I then noticed that in my Word document the whole string was being seen as 1 URL due to the http part at the beginning, so I changed my entry to look like this:

10.*.*.*;172.27.*.*;http://172.27.*.*;http://domain.subdomain.com/

I again noticed that this section:

http://172.27.*.*;http://domain.subdomain.com/

Was being seen as one URL in my Word document.  To resolve this I had to add the URL's individually and apply and OK these before going back in and making the next entry.  So I ended up adding them all individually after separating the URL's in my Word document.

I hope this helps.

March 17th, 2015 8:21am

Hi

I found this thread yesterday as I have been tearing my hair out simply getting the proxy setting to apply to IE11 machines.

We have mixture of IE9 and IE11 machines. The IE machines are configured using the IE maintenance GP and works perfect. I realised that we could not control later than IE9 with this policy so created a Windows 8.1 machine and installed the remote server admin tools.

So I now can create a policy for IE 10 and above using the GPP and all I want to do is tick the box to use a proxy server, specify it and bypass for local address, I do not even click into advanced. The boxes are underlined green but the setting will just not appear on the clients.

I read on another site with someone having the same issue and basically said it flat out will not work and had to use a registry preference but what I read on this it appears some people have got it working.

I have tried all the order combinations that people have suggested but no matter what it will not work.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks

June 6th, 2015 4:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics