Windows 7 x64 can't read/install any printer drivers from Windows Server 2003 x64 (AMD64 folder and HP Deskjet 855c)

I read the thread Widows 7 printer HP deskjet 855c driver about possible installation of HP855c drivers onto Windows 7 x64 from "Windows Server 2003 x64" CD but I didn't have enough luck to succeed with doing it on my laptop. That thread appears to be dead now as it is marked "Answered", so I'm asking for help here. I have Toshiba Satellite P500 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (http://i55.tinypic.com/2zgth6v.jpg). 

Let me tell you first that I don't have access to Windows Server 2003 x64 or XP Pro 64 CD's. However I did some research online, which eventually forced me to learn about the "file sharing". After extensive search I was able to get the copies of AMD64 folders from Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 with SP2 and XP Pro 64. The reason that I went also after XP Pro was because I thought that the extra wording "R2 Standard x64 with SP2" in description of "Windows Server 2003" did not reflect the exact name provided by poster Alan. I couldn't find just "Windows Server 2003 x64" (does it matter?).

Anyway, I followed first the drill with running "printui /s /t2" and disabling UAC, and then in both cases I was able to locate the NTPRINT.INF file (http://oi51.tinypic.com/9qwvt2.jpg - this image is from XP Pro AMD64 folder) but each time when I attempted to install the driver, I got the same message stating:

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software drive for your device. If the folder contains the driver, make sure it's designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems." (http://oi53.tinypic.com/27yveiw.jpg)

Why aren't there x64 drivers?

During several installation attempts I had the printer connected to or disconnected from my laptop. It didn't make any difference. I must add that for this purpose I had to use different cable than the original one designated only for the Parallel port in my old desktop with Windows XP. My new laptop with Windows 7 x64 came only with 3 USB ports (plus 1 HDMI and 1 Serial). Because of that situation I bought in advance a new printer cable called “USB to 36-pin Parallel Port Adapter Cable” (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A8I75E). I'm not sure, if it will work until I can install the printer. Besides, nobody talked about this issue yet. I was also playing with the port choices in "Add printer" step; changing from default LPT1 to USB001 with the same negative results.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I was very hopeful after reading positive "case closed" notes there. Can anyone help me here, maybe by making the necessary files available for download? I'm willing to pay for such assistance or make a donation, if necessary. Seriously. Judging by the large number of views of the original thread, one could assume that there is a potential demand for such service. It would be more human to pay few bucks for a few driver files than $900 for the whole Windows Server 2003 x64 CD, no? Can Microsoft accomodate me/us, please? :)

Andrew*

P.S. I was advised to come for help here from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-x64-cant-readinstall-any-printer-drivers/4e7d06e1-33a5-4597-be70-4fdc087a63a7?msgId=9a045994-0d31-4d40-b17d-dba372393ee4

October 21st, 2011 5:09pm

Okay, you found me.

I cannot provide you with any MS files since I work for MS but not with any support team.  Maybe someone else here can share these files.   Nor do I accept cash.  Maybe cookies but they need to be chewy.

You need 3 files from 2003 SP2 -  ntprint.inf, ntprint.cat, and sp2.cab (or sp1.cab if using x64 Pro).

I'd leave UAC enabled and just run the printui command in an elevated command window.  Leave x64 selected and use Have disk to navigate to the location where you copied the three files.  You will be prompted for STDNAMES.GPD, it's in the sp2.cab file, just make sure the path is correct and click OK.

The files are dated 2/18/2007

verify you have the correct ntprint.inf

You will see a bunch of NTamd64 strings in the file
;
; Decorated Manufacturer section.
;
; This section lists all of the manufacturers
; that we will display in the Dialog box
;
[Manufacturer]
%Agfa%=Agfa,NTamd64
%Alps%=Alps,NTamd64
%Apollo%=Apollo,NTamd64
%Apple%=Apple,NTamd64
%APS-PS%=APS-PS,NTamd64
%AST%=AST,NTamd64

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 21st, 2011 8:32pm

Yes and once you have the driver installed, then you get to figure/find out if the cable will work with the device.  Most print vendors offer no support for the USB conversion cables. 
October 21st, 2011 8:47pm

You need 3 files from 2003 SP2 -  ntprint.inf, ntprint.cat, and sp2.cab (or sp1.cab if using x64 Pro).

I'd leave UAC enabled and just run the printui command in an elevated command window.  Leave x64 selected and use Have disk to navigate to the location where you copied the three files. 

Hi Alan. Thank you very much for your response and instructions. I'm quoting above only those steps that I was able to complete because, after copying those 3 files from "2003 SP2's" AMD64 folder to the New Folder on the desktop, then locating the NTPRINT.INF file and clicking OK in Install From Disk window, I got the same incompatibility message as before. My files have the same date as yours. I also changed the "file view", so you could see the their size.

To eliminate the possibility of my laptop being faulty, I also tried installing those files on my wife's Toshiba Satellite A665D (Windows 7 x64) with the same results. So, something is definitely wrong here but what. Since you can't provide me with your files, could I somehow send/upload mine to you for the examination? I think that this is the only way we can find out, if they are corrupted or maybe simply wrong... like 32-bit with my luck. Besides, I really wouldn't like those cookies to go stale now :).

Andrew'

• Edited by Andrew' Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:56 AM
October 22nd, 2011 6:48am

let's make sure you are attempting to install the driver the same way I installed it.

Start

printui /s  (this opens Print Server Properties)

Change security if there is a button there.

Add / Next / x64 / Next / Have Disk / point to the desktop folder / you should see ntprint listed / Open / This brings up the Manufacture - Model list / Select HP, Deskjet 855c /Next ......

When do you get a compatibility prompt? 

October 22nd, 2011 2:54pm

My steps:

1) Start ->All Programs ->Accessories ->Run

2) Before I was typing printui /s /t2 (instr. from the original post). This time I typed just printui /s and the same Print Server Properties window opened as before. I clicked the Security tab and checked Allow all boxes for Everyone, CREATOR OWNER and Administrators. Then I clicked OK to close the window.

3) Start ->Devices and Printers ->Add Printer -> select Add a local printer; it opens Choose printer port window with the list of available ports (I don't see any x64 there, so I leave LPT1 selected)->click Next ->it opens Install the printer driver window with the Manufacturer and Printers list->click Have Disk ->navigate to the New Folder on the desktop ->select NTPRINT.INF file -> click OK in Install From Disk window -> the incompatibility message shows up.

Andrew'

October 22nd, 2011 5:33pm

You need to add the driver from the Print Server Properties page on the drivers tab.  

October 22nd, 2011 8:15pm

Steps from Print Server Properties on Drivers tab:

click Add -> Welcome to Add Printer Driver Wizard opens, click Next -> Processor and Operating System Selection opens, select x64 (default selection), click Next -> Printer Driver Selection opens (with Manufacturer and Printers list), click Have Disk -> Install From Disk opens, click Browse. The Locate File window opens. Navigate to the New Folder on the desktop ->select NTPRINT.INF file and click Open -> click OK in Install From Disk window -> the incompatibility message shows up (again).

• Edited by Andrew' Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:28 PM removed link from word NTPRINT.INF
October 22nd, 2011 11:18pm

these are the files I used to add the driver

02/18/2007  04:00 AM         1,110,063 NTPRINT.CAT
02/18/2007  04:00 AM         1,570,468 NTPRINT.INF
02/18/2007  04:00 AM        11,678,589 SP2.CAB

October 24th, 2011 3:49pm

Do you know/remember the exact name of the Operating System (CD) you got them from? Your files have the same date and size as mine when displayed in Command Prompt. However mine were created/modified at 8:00 AM.

When displaying mine in Windows Explorer, the time is 7:00 AM and their size shows up slightly smaller and rounded down to three digits after coma.  So, it looks like the time creation is the only difference here. You got your cookies at 4:00 AM, I got crackers at 8:00 AM :). I'm still willing to send them to you, if you want to check them out. Strange situation, isn't it?

• Edited by Andrew' Monday, October 24, 2011 7:55 PM corrected spelling of "rounded"
October 24th, 2011 7:00pm

My list is incomplete.  You need DRIVER.CAB as well

You are in a different timezone.  From the difference you might think that we are 4 hours apart but I actually do not have the Daylight savings flag on this machine.  You are in the Eastern Time Zone while I am in Pacific.  I copied the files from Server 2003 SP2

October 24th, 2011 7:26pm

I copied DRIVER.CAB to New Folder. I tried to install the driver both ways, through Print Server Properties and Devices and Printers... I got the same incompatibility message twice at the same stage of each process.
October 24th, 2011 7:52pm

the only difference I see is that I never use a desktop folder.  I have a network share that I point to.

Can you copy the files to a skydrive and send me a link?

October 26th, 2011 1:53am

I sent you the link using contact form at http://blogs.technet.com/b/print/contact.aspx 
October 26th, 2011 6:30am

I downloaded the files but they are corrupted.  I cannot open the cab files and ntprint.inf contains nothing except blank lines
October 26th, 2011 6:36pm

I wonder what caused the corruption - extracting them from 2 big *.iso files in case of Windows Server 2003 x64)? I think, I may have the same problem with those files from XP Pro x64 then, although these were encoded as *.RAR extension (29 total), which I first decoded into one *.iso and then extracted them. Do you want to check those files from XP Pro x64, too? If so, I understand that in this case you would want to see SP1.CAB from that disk, right? Do you want me to delete now the ones you already downloaded/ checked?
October 26th, 2011 7:20pm

Yes delete these.  I have a live a

October 26th, 2011 7:32pm

Ok, I deleted them - the spoiled crackers :)
October 27th, 2011 2:08am

Back to the original post then...

Alan, is there anybody else (besides you) at Microsoft with the authority to make the exception/decision to have those 3-4 good files available for me? You did everything in your power to find out where the problem was. And it is right here; you have the files but you are not allowed to share them. I'm willing to buy them from "you" but that doesn't seem to be possible at this level of support. Can I make a personal appeal to somebody else (Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, Pope, Obama)? How do I contact the right person? Is that conceivable/possible at all? I could send to "you" a certified letter with money order (how much?), a blank disk and the envelope addressed to me. Can you do me the last favor and ask somebody, if they are willing to help me this way? Otherwise we'll have to mark this thread as "answered"... and move on with our lives.

Andrew'

October 27th, 2011 10:16pm

I just marked the thread as "Answered" as the original puzzle was solved by Alan - my files were corrupted. So, that's it folks. I'm still out of luck...
October 30th, 2011 3:51pm

I just marked the thread as "Answered" as the original puzzle was solved by Alan - my files were corrupted. So, that's it folks. I'm still out of luck...

Good news folks! My perseverance prevailed. I was able to get a good copy of Windows XP Pro x64 SP2 at the "flea market" :). All I can say is that I have my old HP Deskjet 855c installed and running on Windows 7 Home Premium x64!!! Here is the proof from my laptop: Devices and Printers and Windows Printer Test Page. I think I'm going to run this baby now for another 10 years because even upcoming Windows 8 comes in 32 and 64-bit flavor.

• Marked as answer by Andrew' Monday, November 07, 2011 3:00 AM
November 6th, 2011 7:07pm

Yes and once you have the driver installed, then you get to figure/find out if the cable will work with the device.  Most print vendors offer no support for the USB conversion cab
November 6th, 2011 7:17pm

Hi Alan and Andrew,

I have read your messages and I have hope I can do this. I am also trying to install my HP855C printer on my Sony VAIO laptop computer but I do not have the three files mentioned in your messages. Would any of you be able to share them with me?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Nity12

October 16th, 2013 4:50am

Hi Alan and Andrew,

I have read your messages and I have hope I can do this. I am also trying to install my HP855C printer on my Sony VAIO laptop computer but I do not have the three files mentioned in your messages. Would any of you be able to share them with me?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Nity12

Hi Nity12,

I had to buy mine. You can still get those files on e-bay (today for $65) when you buy XP Professional x64 SP2 or google other deals. What is your (temporary) e-mail address or any other form of contact beyond this forum?

November 2nd, 2013 6:23pm

1.  I have similar situation, finaly treated myself to new touch screen laptop and can't use hp 855c printer. would love to have an easy fix file or files if someone is willing to share. that would be great.glebar98@hotmail.com

January 20th, 2014 10:59pm

I have my HP 855c/driver working on Win 7 Ultimate x64. I used the 'printui /s' procedure and 4 files described above with some minor changes.

I pulled WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe down from the Microsoft website. Running the file causes the exe to unpack into a temp folder at the root drive. A 'Setup Error' message box is displayed once the file is run. I left this message box up until I copied ntprint.inf, ntprint.cat, and sp2.cab from the temp folder.

I copied driver.cab from a Windows XP Pro disc. I also needed amd64\stdnames.gpd which was already in my Windows 7 c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3 folder.  

I created a folder with the 5 files (ntprint.inf, ntprint.cat, sp2.cab, driver.cab, and amd64\stdnames.gpd). This is my 'Have Disc' folder. 

I followed the 'printui /s' instructions, first changing the permissions mentioned above and then installing the driver. Next I followed the instructions to add a printer from Control Panel 'Devices and Printers' - 'Add Printer', choosing to 'use an existing driver' when installing the HP 855c.

I used a slightly different ntprint.inf, size 1570418. The readable contents of ntprint.inf is as follows. Notice the line 'CatalogFile=ntprint.cat' is not included. I tried using the 1570468 version of ntprint.inf; when I did I received an incompatibility message (probably the same one mentioned above).

; NTPRINT.INF (for Windows Server 2003 family)
;
; List of supported printers, manufacturers
;

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Provider=%MS%
; LayoutFile=layout.inf
ClassGUID={4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Class=Printer
DriverVer=10/01/2002,5.2.3790.4533

[ClassInstall32.NT]
AddReg=printer_class_addreg

[printer_class_addreg]
HKR,,,,%PrinterClassName%
HKR,,Icon,,"-4"
HKR,,Installer32,,"ntprint.dll,ClassInstall32"
HKR,,NoDisplayClass,,1
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"printui.dll,PrinterPropPageProvider"

Good luck

• Edited by mhacker Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:41 PM
December 3rd, 2014 2:54pm

I had put aside my HP855C printer for awhile since I bought a computer with Windows 7 64bit. At this point, I thought I would follow some of the suggestions here to see if I could install the printer. I have an original Windows XP Professional CD (includes Service Pack 1a). I also have a Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. I found the 4 files on the XP Professional CD, but not on the Service Pack 2 CD.

I copied the 4 files to a folder (I also added amd64\stdnames.gpd per the example above), and then followed the 'printui /s' instructions, and changed the permissions. When I direct the installation of the driver to the ntprint.inf file, I get the incompatibility message as others have received. I tried it a couple of different ways, but always get the incompatibility message.

My files have the following dates and sizes:

driver.cab 7/16/2003 74,902 KB

ntprint.cat 7/16/2003 1,061 KB

ntprint.inf 7/16/2003  1,464 KB

sp1.cab   7/16/2003  9,921 KB

After doing more reading of related posts, I am thinking that this did not work because I have Windows 7 64 bit, and I need the Windows Server 2003 files not the XP files.

I am hesitant to download WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe and execute it on my computer, as I don't want to cause any other problems. Mhacker appears to have done this and survived.

If someone could send me the correct files or explain how to execute the WindowsServer2003 download to get the files without causing myself more grief, it would be greatly appreciated. I hate to succumb to the "throw away" mentality, and discard a printer that would work fine if I had the proper files. Thanks in advance for any help!

• Edited by Sunny78910 Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:39 PM
July 28th, 2015 9:24pm

If someone could send me the correct files or explain how to execute the WindowsServer2003 download to get the files without causing myself more grief, it would be greatly appreciated. I hate to succumb to the "throw away" mentality, and discard a printer that would work fine if I had the proper files. Thanks in advance for any help!

How can you be reached, sunny78910?
July 30th, 2015 11:51pm

Andrew,

beachbunny1992-legal @ yahoo.com (without the spaces)

Thank you!

July 31st, 2015 4:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics