Windows 7 ultimate couldn't connect to windows server 2008 domain
Though i've try both dhcp as well as static IP. I did add a dhcp server as well as ADDC in windows server 2008. Though i follow the following step but still no go, win 7 ultimate just wouldn't connect to the domain. Kindly advise i might have missed out something. Btw i'm running dlink router DIR 300 with a comp running windows 7 ultimate & another running server 2008 How to Install and Configure Windows Server 2008 DHCP Server
July 30th, 2011 9:19am

Hi Daniel, I can't seem to connect to that link you gave, so I'll try to answer blind: Getting DHCP running correctly on your Server 2008 machine is one thing. Joining the pc to the domain is possibly a different issue. 1. DHCP: The client computer does not need to be connected to the domain to use the DHCP on the server. You can verify the correct functioning of DHCP with any computer that is set to obtain IP address automatically. Get this working first, because if the DHCP settings are wrong, it could prevent you joining the domain. 2. Joining the domain: You don't have to create a computer account in AD before joining a computer to the domain. You can if you want it to be in a specific OU, but you can also move it to the correct OU manually afterwards. I hope this is of some help?If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2011 10:05am

Hi Daniel, I can't seem to connect to that link you gave, so I'll try to answer blind: Getting DHCP running correctly on your Server 2008 machine is one thing. Joining the pc to the domain is possibly a different issue. 1. DHCP: The client computer does not need to be connected to the domain to use the DHCP on the server. You can verify the correct functioning of DHCP with any computer that is set to obtain IP address automatically. Get this working first, because if the DHCP settings are wrong, it could prevent you joining the domain. 2. Joining the domain: You don't have to create a computer account in AD before joining a computer to the domain. You can if you want it to be in a specific OU, but you can also move it to the correct OU manually afterwards. I hope this is of some help? If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". Hey Teddy, i'll try what you mention here by creating a OU and see how it goes from here. Btw i heard is better to have a static IP instead of a dhcp IP cos if the IP changes in a dhcp, the client might not be able to get the correct IP, correct me if i'm wrong? Lastly thanks for your advise, much appreciate
July 30th, 2011 11:42am

Hi Daniel, The DHCP server should have a static IP address. And it's address should be excluded from the scope. The client should preferably have a DHCP-aquired address. There should be no need to create an OU. Client computers joined to the domain will automatically have a computer account created for them in the Computers container in Active Directory Users and Computers. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 30th, 2011 11:59am

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/How-to-Install-Configure-Windows-Server-2008-DHCP-Server.html Just a thought, are you able to see the above link now? Infact i did try joining or changing the domain name under win 7 ultimate using network ID or change tab under system properties>computer name
July 30th, 2011 1:09pm

Hello, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the Windows 7 machine and the DC/DNS server of the domain, so we can verify some settings.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 30th, 2011 3:13pm

Hi Daniel, Yes, I saw the article. It is very thorough. I assume everything went correctly with no errors? Is the DHCP server running now? (Green arrow pointing upwards).If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 30th, 2011 3:52pm

Hello, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the Windows 7 machine and the DC/DNS server of the domain, so we can verify some settings. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Here's the attach image ipconfig /all of the win 7 ultimate machine as well as win server 2008, kindly take a look. fyi both of it's IP, subnet mask & dns server etc is all given by the router as i'm using dhcp from the dlink router. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/ipconfig.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/ipconfig-1.jpg
July 30th, 2011 8:27pm

Hi Daniel, Yes, I saw the article. It is very thorough. I assume everything went correctly with no errors? Is the DHCP server running now? (Green arrow pointing upwards). If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". Hi Teddy, Previously i follow the attach article and once done next i did an IPCONFIG /RELEASE then an IPCONFIG /RENEW and verified that I received an IP address from the new DHCP server. Instead what i'm getting is still the same IP, subnet mask & dns given out from my dink router (pls refer to the attach image which i have posted above) Though i'm able to setup & install server 2008 successfully but i don't get the option for network connection binding nor the IP detected as is suppose to like what is being shown at the article which i've attach
July 30th, 2011 8:47pm

Just a thought, do i need to set the IP & DNS to static in TCP/IP for the win 7 client, same goes to the server 2008 TCP/IP properties?
July 31st, 2011 1:45am

Hi Daniel, The problems you are having are probably because you have 2 DHCP servers with overlapping scopes. You need to either use one or the other, or configure both DHCP server to work together in an 80/20 configuration. This configuration is complex, and not necessary for your setup right now. So, disable the DHCP server function on your router if you want to test if your Windows Server DHCP is working. PS: For more information on setting up multiple DHCP servers, see this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958936.aspx If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 3:27am

Hello, the ip configuration is your problem. First a server should always use a fixed ip address and not DHCP and a DC MUST use it's domain DNS server, so in your case itself instead of the router DNS server. Same belongs to the client machine. So please reconfigure the DC/DNS server to a FIXED ip address: IP: 192.168.0.100 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.0.1 preferred DNS: 192.168.0.100 secondary DNS: 127.0.0.1(recommended from DNS BPA) The workstation can use the router DHCP, but better use the server instead and disable the router DHCP. Id you still like to use the router you have to change the DNS server to the DC/DNS server. So the workstation should look: IP: 192.168.0.101 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.0.1 preferred DNS: 192.168.0.100 To achieve internet access fro the domain members you have to configure the FORWARDERS in the DNS management console of the DNS server properties to your ISPs DNS server or you use the built-in root hints. Important is that the DHCP client service must be started, even if the DC is not using DHCP, as this service is required for correct DNS registration.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 3:30am

Hello, the ip configuration is your problem. First a server should always use a fixed ip address and not DHCP and a DC MUST use it's domain DNS server, so in your case itself instead of the router DNS server. Same belongs to the client machine. So please reconfigure the DC/DNS server to a FIXED ip address: IP: 192.168.0.100 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.0.1 preferred DNS: 192.168.0.100 secondary DNS: 127.0.0.1(recommended from DNS BPA) The workstation can use the router DHCP, but better use the server instead and disable the router DHCP. Id you still like to use the router you have to change the DNS server to the DC/DNS server. So the workstation should look: IP: 192.168.0.101 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.0.1 preferred DNS: 192.168.0.100 To achieve internet access fro the domain members you have to configure the FORWARDERS in the DNS management console of the DNS server properties to your ISPs DNS server or you use the built-in root hints. Important is that the DHCP client service must be started, even if the DC is not using DHCP, as this service is required for correct DNS registration. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. To reconfigure the DC/DNS server to a FIXED ip address as well as forwarders in dns management, i assume all this is done through windows server instead of the router config page? Btw i only check & enable dhcp server & the ADDC previously while adding roles & the rest of the roles like DNS server i did not enable. Currently i did not add any roles as i have remove it Lastly should i input the above suggested IP on the win server or the router? Pls bear with me, i getting loss :=(
July 31st, 2011 4:10am

Hello, "To reconfigure the DC/DNS server to a FIXED ip address as well as forwarders in dns management, i assume all this is done through windows server instead of the router config page?" Correct. On the NIC properties (ncpa.cpl) and in the DNS management console (dnsmgmt.msc) but opened from the run line. "Btw i only check & enable dhcp server & the ADDC previously while adding roles & the rest of the roles like DNS server i did not enable" A DC relies on full functional DNS and reuqires a DNS server to be installed. If you didn't had one before, the DNS server role is installed automatically during promotion to DC. You cannot avoid this, so using the dnsmgmt.msc will open the console and show you at least a forward lookup zone with the from you specified domain name. On the router change the DNS server to the DC for the DHCP scope settings instead of using itself..Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 4:28am

Daniel, If you have currently removed all the roles from the server, maybe it is time to start again from the beginning. As Meinholf said, when you install the ADDS role, and dcpromo the server, the DNS role is automatically installed if it is not already installed. As you say you have removed all the roles, the DNS role will be automatically installed. Accept the defaults that you are prompted with when installing the DNS server. Secondly, I strongly advise you only use one DHCP server, and it should be the Windows Server DHCP. Intstall this role on your server too, and disable the DHCP funtion on your router. Verify that DHCP is working correctly before proceeding to attempt to join computers to the new domain. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 4:34am

Hello, "To reconfigure the DC/DNS server to a FIXED ip address as well as forwarders in dns management, i assume all this is done through windows server instead of the router config page?" Correct. On the NIC properties (ncpa.cpl) and in the DNS management console (dnsmgmt.msc) but opened from the run line. "Btw i only check & enable dhcp server & the ADDC previously while adding roles & the rest of the roles like DNS server i did not enable" A DC relies on full functional DNS and reuqires a DNS server to be installed. If you didn't had one before, the DNS server role is installed automatically during promotion to DC. You cannot avoid this, so using the dnsmgmt.msc will open the console and show you at least a forward lookup zone with the from you specified domain name. On the router change the DNS server to the DC for the DHCP scope settings instead of using itself.. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Hi i've re add the role of ADDC & dhcp server in win 2008, indeed like what you mention, once i install dhcp server, DNS is install by default as well. Fyi i managed to get the dhcp server running with the recommended IP input onto the NIC properties (ncpa.cpl) in windows server 2008 as for the DNS management console (dnsmgmt.msc) i open using the say run line and DNS management console did appear but too bad i'm not sure which forward lookup zone you're mentioning as well as how to configure the FORWARDERS in the DNS management console as i motice a few forward lookup option. if you could guide me through the step, that would be great Lastly though the dhcp server is running on win server but i still can't get win 7 ultimate to join the domain or at least display or get detected in win 2008 server. Btw thanks for the help so far
July 31st, 2011 7:30am

Hello, DNS server role is not installed when installing DHCP server role, it will be installed when you run dcpromo to create the domain controller. For DNS configuration please see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780661(WS.10).aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737178(WS.10).aspx http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737339(WS.10).aspx Please post the unedited ipconfig /all after the changes you have done for the DC and the workstation, if the workstation is unchanged then use a fixed ip address as on the DC/DNS server.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 7:39am

Following are the Ipconfig /all of the 2008 server as well as win 7 client as well as the forward lookout zone showing my domain name, btw any idea why there's two domain name? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/Clients.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/server.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/domainname.jpg Btw i set the win 7 client to static as in getting the IP from server 2008, though it's IP look fine to me but end up the client has no net access & till now i'm still not able to log into the domain from win 7
July 31st, 2011 11:10am

Hello, please make sure to NOT use 2 times the same ip address. As i suggested above the first settings are for the SERVER: IP: 192.168.0.100 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.0.1 preferred DNS: 192.168.0.100 secondary DNS: 127.0.0.1(recommended from DNS BPA) And your Windows 7 workstation should look like: IP: 192.168.0.101 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.0.1 preferred DNS: 192.168.0.100 The shown pictures are not correct so please change it to this with fixed ip addresses. After the change run ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service on the DC and run ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns on the Windows 7 machine and reboot the Windows 7 machine NOT the server. The shown zones are correct in the Forward lookup zones, the gray one is a needed delegation, do NOT change/remove it. What i am missing is the A record for the DC/DNS server, it should appear after running the above mentioned commands.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 11:22am

Hello, please make sure to NOT use 2 times the same ip address. As i suggested above the first settings are for the SERVER: IP: 192.168.0.100 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.0.1 preferred DNS: 192.168.0.100 secondary DNS: 127.0.0.1(recommended from DNS BPA) And your Windows 7 workstation should look like: IP: 192.168.0.101 SM: 255.255.255.0 DG: 192.168.0.1 preferred DNS: 192.168.0.100 The shown pictures are not correct so please change it to this with fixed ip addresses. After the change run ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns and restart the netlogon service on the DC and run ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns on the Windows 7 machine and reboot the Windows 7 machine NOT the server. The shown zones are correct in the Forward lookup zones, the gray one is a needed delegation, do NOT change/remove it. What i am missing is the A record for the DC/DNS server, it should appear after running the above mentioned commands. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Seem like working now, the win 7 client are assign with static IP of 192.168.0.101 & the win 2008 server with a static IP of 192.168.0.100. Both also could access the net now. When i try to join the domain from win 7 ultimate, i get a prompt for computer name/domain changes. Is there anyway to turn off this prompt and allow me to log in directly? Btw should i input the computer name of win 7 or the server 2008? Lastly is it normal for my win 7 client to lose internet connection once i shutdown my server 2008?
July 31st, 2011 1:19pm

Hi Daniel, It seems like you are making progress. It is normal to be prompted when joining a computer to a domain. You need to enter the credentials of the domain administrator. You will only have to do this once for each domain join. After that, users can log on normally. In the Computer Name field, put the name of the client computer. In the domain name field, put ncpa.cpl, if that is the fully qualified domain name. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 1:40pm

Hello, "When i try to join the domain from win 7 ultimate, i get a prompt for computer name/domain changes. Is there anyway to turn off this prompt and allow me to log in directly?" This is normal and the way to join a computer to the domain, if you don't do this you are not able to logon with domain user accounts created in AD UC on the domain controller. "Btw should i input the computer name of win 7 or the server 2008?" To join the machine to the domain it is enaugh to use an account that is at least domain administrator, by default the administrator account on the DC, to join it to the domain. You can also fill in the Netbios domain name before, so either you use "username" or "domain\username" without the quotes. "Lastly is it normal for my win 7 client to lose internet connection once i shutdown my server 2008" As without the domain DNS server no name resolution is working this is expected. Keep in mind that a DC/DNS server normally run 24/7 the whole year, except for some updates and other maintenance reasons. Additional it is recommended to have at least 2 DC/DNS/GC per domain for fail over and redundancy reasons and of course all domain machines must have this one also as secondary DNS server on the NIC.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 1:43pm

When i try accessing the domain from win 7, Under computer name, I input the server 2008 computer name & under member of domain i input the domain name of server 2008 and next i got a error. Kindly take a look at my attach http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/Computer.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/domainname-1.jpg
July 31st, 2011 1:57pm

Hello, on the Windows 7 workstation there is no need to change the computer name as this belongs to the Windows 7 computer, just change the "Member of" part on this field NOT the machine name. Now i understand your previous question about the computer name field "In the Computer Name field, put the name of the client computer". So again, there is no need to change the Windows 7 machine name, it must be different then the servers name as a computer name can only exist once in a network, that's the reason for the error message about double Netbios name.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 2:13pm

In the Computer Name field, put the name of the client computer. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This is your problem. Do not put the name of the server in the computer name field. Put the NETBIOS name of the client computer, as you want it to appear in Active Directory Users and Computers. And whatever you do, don't say 'Yes' to that prompt.If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 2:15pm

Hi Daniel, It seems like you are making progress. It is normal to be prompted when joining a computer to a domain. You need to enter the credentials of the domain administrator. You will only have to do this once for each domain join. After that, users can log on normally. In the Computer Name field, put the name of the client computer. In the domain name field, put ncpa.cpl, if that is the fully qualified domain name. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". It seems like you took no notice of this advice. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". I did but no go which is why i try using the name of the server as well as domain name of server. Just a thought, do i need to add the username on the server or domain itself prior to accessing?
July 31st, 2011 2:16pm

What do you mean by 'no go'? What happened when you performed the steps to join the domain, as it seemed you have done correctly to a point? But as Meinholf and I both said, you definitely should not put the name of the server in the Computer name field. This is why you are getting the error message you posted about duplicate names. Please join the domain as I suggested, and post any screenshots of errors, so that we can help you further. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 2:21pm

In the Computer Name field, put the name of the client computer. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This is your problem. Do not put the name of the server in the computer name field. Put the NETBIOS name of the client computer, as you want it to appear in Active Directory Users and Computers. And whatever you do, don't say 'Yes' to that prompt. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". I did input the netbios name of the client computer under computer name field as for the member of domain i input pchub.com as it show as pchub.com under domain in server 2008 but still no go. I even input the full computer name under member of domain but still the same :=(
July 31st, 2011 2:36pm

Please run the following command from a command prompt, and post back the results: nslookup server1.mydomain.com where server1 is the name of your server, and mydomain.com is the full domain name you used when you installed Active Directory. This should return the IP address of your server. If it does not, then you have a DNS record problem. "I even input the full computer name under member of domain but still the same :=(" In the Domain Name field, you should not specify the full name of the server, just the mydomain.com part. This is a common mistake. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 2:44pm

Hello, "input the netbios name of the client computer under computer name field " As said BEFORE DO NOT CHANGE THE COMPUTER NAME WHEN JOINING THE COMPUTER TO THE DOMAIN. Only change from workgroup to domain and fill in the domain name either in the format of Netbios which is pchub(suggested by default when running dcpromo) or use pchub.com THAT'S IT.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 2:44pm

What do you mean by 'no go'? What happened when you performed the steps to join the domain, as it seemed you have done correctly to a point? But as Meinholf and I both said, you definitely should not put the name of the server in the Computer name field. This is why you are getting the error message you posted about duplicate names. Please join the domain as I suggested, and post any screenshots of errors, so that we can help you further. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". As default computer name for the win 7 is Angela-PC and the domain name for the server is pchub.com, next when prompted for password & username, i input Angela-PC with the password that i have created & save on server 2008 but end up i still get the error as in unknown username or bad password http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/memberofdomain.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/password.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/badpassword.jpg
July 31st, 2011 2:50pm

Meinholf, I only said he should do that because he had before put in the server's name in this field. I was trying to emphasise that it is the local computer name that goes in this box, not the name of the server!If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 2:51pm

Hello, short time ago the computer name was WIN-xxxxxxx, now you post the name Angela-PC, so did you rename the machine before trying to add it to the doman? In the fields from http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/password.jpg you have to use the administrator account of a domain admin and NOT the computer name and the password that belongs to the domain admin. Also you cannot rename the computer to Angela-PC together with joining it to the domain, this requires 2 steps so either join it to the domain with the WIN-xxxxxx name and rename it to Angela-PC after the domain join process is complete including the reboot or you join the computer to the domain after the rename process is done including the reboot.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 3:04pm

Hello, "input the netbios name of the client computer under computer name field " As said BEFORE DO NOT CHANGE THE COMPUTER NAME WHEN JOINING THE COMPUTER TO THE DOMAIN. Only change from workgroup to domain and fill in the domain name either in the format of Netbios which is pchub(suggested by default when running dcpromo) or use pchub.com THAT'S IT. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Hi webber i got you but i simply don't know where have i done wrong? Do i need to add a user or grant the user permission before she could join the domain?
July 31st, 2011 3:08pm

In the second image you posted, you entered the wrong information. You should put the domain administrator account in the first field, and his password in the second field. It is not asking you for a computer name, it's asking for a user who has permission to join computers to the domain. That person is the domain adminstrator (at least).If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 3:10pm

Hello, see this way, ignore the view of the GUI as Windows 7 is a bit different but the steps are exactly the same: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456990.aspx You have used the computer name instead an administrator account from the domain to provide the permission. The Administrator shown in AD UC on the Users container is the one you can use with it's password. If you agree i can VNC into your Windows 7 machine and show you the way in detail. You'll find my mail address in the MVP page under my profile. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 3:15pm

Daniel, having to enter the domain admin password, or the credentials of someone who is authorized to join computers to the domain, is the designed behaviour. You have not done 'anything wrong' in this respect. You can delegate the ability for users to join the domain themselves, but it is complex, and I think it is probably best that you do it for all computers. If you are interested, here is a link about delegating this right: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverNAP/thread/8aa21820-e22a-4395-a1e9-f40ed705be7a As I said, the domain join only has to be done once, and after that, users will simply be prompted for their domain credentials to log onto the domain.If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
July 31st, 2011 3:20pm

Hello, short time ago the computer name was WIN-xxxxxxx, now you post the name Angela-PC, so did you rename the machine before trying to add it to the doman? In the fields from http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/olivero/password.jpg you have to use the administrator account of a domain admin and NOT the computer name and the password that belongs to the domain admin. Also you cannot rename the computer to Angela-PC together with joining it to the domain, this requires 2 steps so either join it to the domain with the WIN-xxxxxx name and rename it to Angela-PC after the domain join process is complete including the reboot or you join the computer to the domain after the rename process is done including the reboot. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. The WIN-xxxxxxx infact is the computer name of the server 2008, intially i try that but since it doesn't work, next i used back the default computer name of win 7 which is angela-pc & i did not rename any stuff
July 31st, 2011 3:23pm

Hello, "The WIN-xxxxxxx infact is the computer name of the server 2008, intially i try that but since it doesn't work, next i used back the default computer name of win 7 which is angela-pc & i did not rename any stuff" If WIN-xxxx is the domain controller and angela-pc is the Windows 7 machine then please open the system properties window again to join angela-pc to the domain, do NOT touch or use the angela-pc name and just change it from workgroup to domain and fill in pchub as domain name. Now the prompt appears to provide a user name and a password which has to be the Administrator account you'll find in the domain controller in AD UC, users container. After this you are required to reboot the Windows 7 machine.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
July 31st, 2011 3:35pm

Hello, "The WIN-xxxxxxx infact is the computer name of the server 2008, intially i try that but since it doesn't work, next i used back the default computer name of win 7 which is angela-pc & i did not rename any stuff" If WIN-xxxx is the domain controller and angela-pc is the Windows 7 machine then please open the system properties window again to join angela-pc to the domain, do NOT touch or use the angela-pc name and just change it from workgroup to domain and fill in pchub as domain name. Now the prompt appears to provide a user name and a password which has to be the Administrator account you'll find in the domain controller in AD UC, users container. After this you are required to reboot the Windows 7 machine. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights. Have try the above mention but it still wouldn't work, any other alternative to join the domain?
July 31st, 2011 8:24pm

Please run the following command from a command prompt, and post back the results: nslookup server1.mydomain.com where server1 is the name of your server, and mydomain.com is the full domain name you used when you installed Active Directory. This should return the IP address of your server. If it does not, then you have a DNS record problem. "I even input the full computer name under member of domain but still the same :=(" In the Domain Name field, you should not specify the full name of the server, just the mydomain.com part. This is a common mistake. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". The nslookup comes back with the IP of 192.168.0.100
July 31st, 2011 8:43pm

Hi Daniel, If 192.168.0.100 is the IP address of your server, then the DNS record looks fine. Please post screenshots, or descirptions of the errors you get when attempting to join the domain as Meinholf described: "If WIN-xxxx is the domain controller and angela-pc is the Windows 7 machine then please open the system properties window again to join angela-pc to the domain, do NOT touch or use the angela-pc name and just change it from workgroup to domain and fill in pchub as domain name. Now the prompt appears to provide a user name and a password which has to be the Administrator account you'll find in the domain controller in AD UC, users container. After this you are required to reboot the Windows 7 machine."If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
August 1st, 2011 4:21am

I've managed to get the win 7 onto the domain after countless attempt with combination of FDQN & half. Till now i'm still quite cluless as how i managed to log into the domain, just happen to get a welcome to domain prompt just now and request me to restart. Once i did, i'm able to see the win 7 under computers within ADUC. If my memory didn't failed me, it seem that when i choose to input using adminstrator with my password instead of the domain or computer name do the trick Lastly thanks for all the help & advise render, would like to thanks teddy & weber for the patience and prompt reply. You guys are marvellous & knowledgeable, next thing i'm gonna do is install WSUS and update it to the client :=)
August 1st, 2011 5:15am

"it seem that when i choose to input using adminstrator with my password instead of the domain or computer name do the trick" Yes, I think that was all it was. Good luck from here. All the best. If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
August 1st, 2011 5:28am

Last night i shutdown my server and this evening i power on it again and i discover i couldn't access the net be it from the server or client. Next i look at server manager & notice the DNS server was stop and i have to start it manually again then i have net access. Any idea why would it stop suddenly?
August 2nd, 2011 6:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics