Windows 7 system locking my files
I have Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on my server. I use XP desktops. I have been having trouble opening files and I get that the file is open when it is not. I installed an unlocker program and it shows that the "System" has the program locked and cannot unlock it. Sometimes after awhile the program becomes unlocked and I can use it again. How can I fix this issue....it is a HUGE pain in the butt !!! I was told this was a server issue and to post here even though this is Windows 7 Ultimate. 1 Person had this question MMiller69
April 20th, 2011 10:58pm

Hi, Please check if the following thread is helpful. Unable to delete a locked file on a Windows 2003 server http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverfiles/thread/b97ba6ce-4853-4ce4-a63e-2e21f9ed10b0/ Brent Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2011 12:19am

Brent, I have tried an unlocker and it will not unlock the files. It tells me the "system" has it locked but a process is using it. With these particular files, there is no process using them. They are quickbooks data files on a server. Some of the files have not been accessed for awhile and the server and desktops have been rebooted to try and kill whatever process has been using them. Still cannot open them. Now sometimes I try to save something to the server and it says the drive is full. It has around 800 gigs of free space on it.
April 21st, 2011 11:01am

Leroy, If SYSTEM has the files locked, there's a good chance that the files are opened via a file share. You can see if that's the case by opening Computer Managed (compmgmt.msc) and expanding System Tools, Shared Folders, Open Files. If the file is listed in this section, you'll be able to see who has it open. You can also forcibly disconnect the user from this console.
April 21st, 2011 10:48pm

I am able to view the open file and close it. I can then open it on my desktop. Now I just have to figure out why it is holding the file open. Thanks a million !!!
April 26th, 2011 3:28pm

Leroy, If SYSTEM has the files locked, there's a good chance that the files are opened via a file share. You can see if that's the case by opening Computer Managed (compmgmt.msc) and expanding System Tools, Shared Folders, Open Files. If the file is listed in this section, you'll be able to see who has it open. You can also forcibly disconnect the user from this console. I am having the same issue. Do you know a way of fixing that permanently so that it doesn't lock the quickbooks file? I work for a bookkeeping company and we open and close many quickbooks files in a day. To have to do this each time is annoying to say the least. We spoke with QB tech support and they recommended rebooting the file server (Win 7 32-bit machine). That also worked but we can't be rebooting everytime we want to access a file. Many thanks for your help!
June 4th, 2011 2:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics