Windows 7 network connection to server2003 slow browser and slow sql query.
Hi (I have windows 7 ultimate with the latest sp and updates. The server 2003 also is completely up to date.) I have a laptop that i take with me to all my clients. Many of my clients have server2003 machines. I have no problem plugging into their networks and mapping drives to the server 2003 machines and browsing folders. I have one client though that when i connect to their network, I get amazingly slow to the point of non functional, browsing but only on their server 2003 machine. There are other win 7 machines that do not have this problem on this particular network. I can map a drive to any workstation in that network and browse normally. To demonstrate the problem, i simply run cmd.exe and go to a mapped drive. There i do a dir command. The data comes at me only after 5 seconds, and only some of the data. After another 5 seconds, some more data comes. and so on until the directory is completely listed. Another way to demonstrate the problem is to use explorer to browse the folder structures. Again there seems to be 5 second delays in the middle of the process. after which chunks of data displays. eventually the entire folder displays, but you get about 75 files at a time with the 5 second delay in between. Another way to demonstrate the problem is if i open sql server management studio and run a simple query. If the query take a fraction of a second to run from another workstation, then it takes 5 seconds (exactly) on mine. It i re-run the same query, it still takes 5 seconds even though it is probably cached. Another way it shows up is if i run remote desktop to the server. The screen takes a long time to get there. Once there, its hard to see the 5 second delays, but they are there if you look for them. On the same network if i remote desktop another workstation and then remote the server from inside the first remote, then it works well. As in nested remote sessions. Since the server seems to have no problem with the 50 other machines on the network, it seems that the problem is with my laptop. BUT!! Since my laptop does not have this problem on any other network with a server 2003 machine, then it seems to be this network. BUT!!! i don't have a problem with any workstation on this network, Just with this particular server 2003 unit. So where do i go from here. I have tried Microsoft network monitor but can't make heads or tails out of it. I can see the 5 second gaps when i click on "my traffic", but i cannot figure out if it has anything to offer so here i am asking this forum. Thanks Jerry C
April 25th, 2011 11:33pm

Hi , Its good that you have taken netmon traffic, but you would be only be able to read them if you understand the SMB protocol stack and map that to the upper TCP layer. First step is to check if that particular windows 7 exhibits the behavior in safe mode with networking ? , if it , please let us know.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2011 12:16am

HI Customer, Please try to disable your laptop wireless NIC and use network cable to connect your network. Regards, Rick Tan
April 27th, 2011 4:59am

I'm experiencing the same issue. from Windows 7 sp1 (patches only recently added on Friday on servers but all servers have had them applied but only the one mentioned seem to struggle Slow RDP to 1 w2k3 server (DC/File server) Slow file access to the same server Any network resource - we use Teamviewer to remote support and now have problem connecting etc with this) I have logged a call with MS to see what they say
April 27th, 2011 5:47am

Hello Thanks to anyone who may offer suggestions. I finally was on site at my clients and the delay happens even in safe mode. For me the biggest clue is in the directory browser and sql queries. The 5 second is obvious. It is mostly 5 seconds sometimes 10 seconds or even 15 but never 7 or 12. This tells me that something is timing out after 5 seconds and then letting the command procede. If the result data requires another round trip, then another 5 seconds is wasted. I usually connect remotely using vpn. But the VPN is not the culpurt as it happens when i am there as well. when i am there, i am plugged into theie network with a t1000 (gig) rj45 connection. (and i have disabled my wireless). As i stated I can browse other machines with no problem. I can browse other server2003 no problem, Other win 7 machines on this network can browse this server2003 no prob. It is the particular combination of my win 7 machine and that particular server 2003. I believe the solution lay with my machine. My coworker plugged his laptop into the same port as me and has no problems browsing or querying. Thanks Jerry C
May 3rd, 2011 6:14pm

Disabling tcp autotuning was fix for us: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
May 5th, 2011 9:49am

Thank you NineBelow and Others. Here is my complete solution netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled After Months of searching and experimenting, my issue is resolved. As a plus, even my VPN access is so much faster. Nine Below pointed me in the right direction. It is Important to know that heuristics must be disabled in order for autotuning to no be overridden Thanks Jerryc
May 11th, 2011 10:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics