Windows 7 computers have slow to access network resources and via RDP going to certain Server 2003 R2 servers but XP machines have no problems
Wondering if this issue might be related to the network connection as if I change a setting to the TCP stack, I am able to get to files that would normally be causing an issue. 99% of the servers that are accessed Server 2003 Server 2003 R2 Server 2008 Server 2008 R2 Std/End are fine, except for a small select few. I am trying to figure out WHY and how this is happening. There are a few thousand people in the company with a few thousand servers and desktops / laptops and I am trying to see what might be happening for them when some people mysteriously can not get to a server in a timeley fashion. I am not willing to do a blanket change to the company build image, nor am I authorized to do so, so I am hoping someone might be able to assit me in trying to figure out what might be changed on the server side to resolve this as the other "99%" of the servers in the company from 2003 to 2008 R2 are not having this issue. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 running as local administrator. If I remotely connect to a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2 x86 Physical Server IBM 7979-xxx xSeries 3650 server with a Broadcom BCM5708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) card built into it. When users remotely connect with Remote Desktop Connection, they have a horribly SLOW connection, on a 100MB network connection on the company LAN (Local Area Network) on the same physical switch in the same physical office. If users on Microsoft Windows 7 go to a command prompt as administrator, with elevated permissions, and type in the command below, they are able to operate normally, without any slowness! Users on Microsoft Windows XP SP3 x86 do NOT have this problem. There is also an issue with Windows Explorer, if the user on Windows 7 tries to go to the server via a network share or folder share. To experience the effect, you must disconnect or log off of the Remote Desktop Connection (and then connect to the server again), or log off or restart the computer, for the Windows Explorer folders - accessing the server in question. netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled If you want to go back to "normal" you type in this command: netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal I have looked at two IBM 7979-xxx servers, ONE of which is having the problem and one is NOT! One is Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition x64 Edition SP2 (not having the problem) and the other is x86 Edition SP2! I am trying to find out if there is a driver issue, but one has version 4.1.3.0 (x64 edition) and 3.0.5.0 (x86 edition) Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition x86 Edition SP2 Driver Version: 3.0.5.0 802.1p QOS - Disable Checksum Offload - Tx/Rx TCP/IP Checksum Ethernet@WireSpeed - Enable Flow Control - Auto Jump Mtu - 1500 Large Send Offload - Enable Locally Administred Address - Not Present Receive Side Scaling - Enable Speed & Duplex - Auto I did see that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks Properties shows Maximize data throughput for !network applications! was a radio button selected for Server Optimization. Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition x64 Edition SP2 Driver Version: 4.1.3.0 802.1p QOS - Disable Ethernet@WireSpeed - Enable Flow Control - Auto IPv4 Checksum Offload - Tx/Rx enabled IPv4 Large Send Offload - Enable Jump Mtu - 1500 Locally Administred Address - Not Present Receive Side Scaling - Enable Speed & Duplex - Auto I did see that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks Properties shows Maximize data throughput for !file sharing! was a radio button selected for Server Optimization. I did go to IBM UpdateXpress System Pack Installer and I saw that Broadcom NetXtreme II Driver for Windows shows bxvdbx.sys 6.2.80 as the new version and the installed was 3.0.7.0 and bxnd52x.sys was 6.2.8.0 and 3.0.5.0. I was thinking that that might fix it, but I look at the two differences above and I seem to see no difference in the two. At the last, memory and processor are fine in Task Manager and this issue has been tested from numerous users over and over, putting in the command netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled to "enable" fast speed and then changing it back to netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal when I am done, to take advantage of the features in this. I do not know what this does, this autotuninglevel, but I know that it started with Microsoft Windows Vista and is in Microsoft Windows 7, but not in Microsoft Windows XP. I do not want to enable this feature to "disabled" for all my Microsoft Windows 7 users, as 99% of the servers, are not experiencing this problem - except for two Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2 x86 Physical servers with Broadcom Nic's from IBM with 7979-xxx. Is there a possible setting on the Server that causes this or might be the reason that this is happening? Should I update the firmware or driver to resolve this problem? I am curious that another server has this, with Broadcom BCM708C NetXtreme II GigE (NDIS VBD Client) has Driver Version 5.2.17.0. More current than the two above, but still have slow issues. Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition x86 Edition SP2 Driver Version:5.2.17.0 802.1p QOS - Disable Ethernet@WireSpeed - Enable Flow Control - Auto Interrupt Moderation - Enable IPv4 Checksum Offload - Tx/Rx enabled IPv4 Large Send Offload - Enable Jump Mtu - 1500 Large Send Offload - Enable Locally Administred Address - Not Present Number of RSS Queues - 8 Receive Buffers - 200 Receive Side Scaling - Enable Speed & Duplex - 100 Mb Full (The switch is a 100MB switch) Transmit Buffers - 750
June 14th, 2012 11:29am

These servers are in production and I need authorization to shut them down or make changes to them that might cause a network outage. I assume if I cahnge the IPv4 Checksum Offload and IPv4 Large Send Offload and turn them from Enable to Disable, I assume that they would take a moment to reset the network connection. Would that also cause the network to possibly be slow, when connecting to the servers? I am not sure how much the Large Send and Jumbo Frames / Jumbo Packets are affected / used and how much they make a difference.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2012 11:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics