Windows 7 clients cannot connect to shared resources hosted on a Windows 2008r2 server via PPTP VPN
Implemented a public wifi onsite hoping to give staff onsite access to internal resources via PPTP VPN hosted on my firewall. Connect to the wireless in house just fine. Connect to the VPN in house just fine and can RDP in. However, Windows 7 users cannot see shared folders or networked printers on the Windows 2008r2 domain controller. Windows 7 clients can see shared resources on a Windows 2003 server hosted in house. Windows XP clients have no trouble seeing resources on either server. If I run the built in Windows 7 diagnostic for \\filesvr1\dataserver, it tells me there's a permission issue. However, when users are connected in house via a cable, and access the shared resources from Windows 7 on the 2008r2 box, they access the resources just fine. File and printer sharing are enabled on the 2008r2 box. What do I need to do to get this working? Help is appreciated.
July 19th, 2011 6:14pm

When on wifi try appending \\fileserver.yourdomain.local where yourdomain.local is your internal name, also for a test try disabling firewall on W7 just to check if the firewall rules are correctWith kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog Need help with your systems?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 19th, 2011 6:19pm

Thanks for the suggestions Krystian. I did try connecting to resources as you suggested with the local domain appended on the name. The Windows Server 2008r2 is not running a firewall, and I did disable the firewall on the Windows 7 machine, and still no go:-(
July 19th, 2011 10:25pm

Thanks for the suggestions Krystian. You're right, I can see the resources if I browse to \\filesvr1.ualc.org. However, all of the resources are already mapped to drives and printers on servers. How do I tell users to get there? I'll play with that today. The Windows Server 2008r2 is not running a firewall, and I did disable the firewall on the Windows 7 machine, and still no go:-(
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2011 5:18am

I downgraded the server and the windows 7 workstation to use smb1, instead of the default of smb2. Registry entries in: SERVER: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters Created a Dword entry of Smb2 with the default value of 0. Rebooted WORKSTATION: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters Created a Dword entry of Smb2 with the default value of 0. It now works. I can connect to the shares and printers. But I've gone backwards a generation in technology. Anyone know of a hotfix or update that correct this?
July 21st, 2011 6:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics