Windows 7 client unable to map shares on Win2k3
I've been working on this for a few days, I hope someone can help me out. I have two DC's running Server W2k3 about 60 XP clients. I'm trying to add some Win7 clients to the mix. The XP clients are all working without problem (and have been). The Win7 clients join the domain without problem. But I get interrmittent connectivity problems to one of my DC's from the client. A typical issue is if I ping the client from the problem DC I'll get a single reply and then nothing but timeouts. If I wait 30 minutes or so and try again I'll start getting consistant replies. Now if I logon to the client and browse the shares on the DC it intermittently works. Often it will fail with and unable to access message. After that neither the client nor the server can access the other. If I wait a while it may start working again, only to fail as soon as I try to do anything useful. This only seems to happen with one of the DC's the one with all my printer shares. Don't know if that is related. Any assistance would be greatly apprecated. JT
April 11th, 2011 3:42pm

Hi JT, Please run "gpedit.msc" on your Win7 client, Browse to "Computer configuration" ->"Windows settings" -> "Security settings"->"local policies" ->"Security Options". look for the entry "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" and open it. Click on the dropdown menu and select "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated". Try to connect win2k3 share after reboot.Regards, Rick Tan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 11th, 2011 10:23pm

Thanks Rick, I tried that, unfortunately no difference still the same problem. BTW do you know how to restore that setting to "not defined"? Couldn't figure out how to do that after I was done testing. Another bit of information. When I have a client that won't communicate with the DC with printer shares, I can still communicate with that client from the other DC without problem. For example: from the problem DC ping the client fails, from the other DC ping the client works fine... JT
April 12th, 2011 12:16pm

Hi JT, No need to restore test setting, it's recommended setting. I need more information to clarity this issue. 1. Please post issue DC & one Win7 "ipconfig/ all", "route print" result to us 2. Please close firewall on test DC and Win7, using ip address to ping each other to verify the network connectivity 3. If it still show intermittent timeout, please post trace their ip address result Regards, Rick Tan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 13th, 2011 2:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics