Windows 7 GPO on AD Server 2003
hi gurus, i had a startup script it's working fine on XP machines but it's not working on windows 7. any ideas, how startup script works on windows 7? i had added the target computer as a member of administrators, had turned off to run script asynchronously on the GPO but still no luck. i had tested just a script just to show a message but it doesn't work as well. had turned off UAC as well. please help guys, how to set startup script on windows 7. Thanks in advance :) Every second counts..make use of it.
July 10th, 2012 5:14am

Hi, Please refer article below Assign Computer Startup Scripts (Applies To: Windows 7, Windows 8 Release Preview, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770556 For Group Policy related questions, you might want to post them in Group Policy forum http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverGP/threads Thanks I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 10th, 2012 5:25am

hi Santosh, thanks for the link. I have seen that how to assign computer startup scripts. i run rsop.msc on the target machine, it seems that the gpo is being applied because i can see the settings of my gpo. but i don't understand why i can't see the script running. i even put a script just to display a message but the message is not showing but on the rsop.msc it's showing that is being applied. will try to post ont the GP forum, please help if you have any ideas. thanks.Every second counts..make use of it.
July 10th, 2012 5:40am

See if following helps... Group Policy logon scripts do not run in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2550944I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
July 10th, 2012 5:44am

hi guys, i created a startup gpo on windows 2003 but it's not running on win 7 clients but it does work okay on XP clients . i tried rsop.msc on win 7 client, it seems that the GPO is applying but I can't see the script running. any ideas guys? i even tried to put a simple script just to display a message but message is not showing. but when i checked rsop.msc i can see the policy being applied. please help guys, thank you. :)Every second counts..make use of it.
July 10th, 2012 5:44am

Hello, Try to use gpresult /h report.html on Windows 7 to see if you get the settings applied. Did you also activate "Always wait for network..." http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305293 You could also use a script that creates a textfile like: echo "test" >c:\temp\testfile.txt (to see if the script will run or not) BTW: You should configure your GPO with RSAT from a Windows 7 or Server 2008 (R2) client. MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: Let's go, use GPO!
July 10th, 2012 6:47am

Hi Mathias, thanks for the reply. Yes the echo "Test" > c:\fox\test123.txt works. So basically it is applying. But I just notice that it seems that startup script does not wait until the script is done running. Because i made a batch file like: Echo "Test 123 Test" Pause In windows xp it's not a problem the script pauses and there's a command window but windows 7 does not do the same. I can't see the command prompt window. Any ideas? Thanks again.Every second counts..make use of it.
July 10th, 2012 9:58am

> In windows xp it's not a problem the script pauses and there's a > command window but windows 7 does not do the same. I can't see the > command prompt window. In Win7, you will not see a script running - they cannot interact with the logon screen anymore. And by default, startup scripts run asynchronously in Win7, so logon proceeds in the foreground while the script is still running in the background (you will see a cmd.exe process in task manager when showing processes of all users). regards, Martin NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs? Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich ber eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!
July 10th, 2012 2:25pm

Like Martin already said, there are differences between Win XP and Win 7 in hiding the Logon / Startup scripts. For example when you run a program that displays a form, it will work in Windows XP anyway. In Windows 7 you need to enable this policy: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc975927 (Which will also display the comand prompts of the scripts as well) MVP Group Policy - Mythen, Insiderinfos und Troubleshooting zum Thema GPOs: Let's go, use GPO!
July 10th, 2012 3:01pm

Hi, Before going further, would you please let me know what is the function of the script? How did you editing the script? Have your checked that if the script could be applied manually? Did you receive any error when the user logon? If so, please provide the detailed error message for research. Did you see any error in Event Log? If so, please also let me know. At this time, I suggest we check the information below to narrow down the cause of the issue. GPMC.log ================== a. On domain controller, click Start ->Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. b. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard) c. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report" => save report to save the report to a HTML file. Collect Gpsvc.log(Vista/Win 7) ============== To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry: Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel Type: REG_DWORD Vaule data: 0x30002 The Gpsvc.log is located in the following folder: %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Debug\UserMode\ Regards, Andy
July 11th, 2012 2:03am

Hi, Before going further, would you please let me know what is the function of the script? How did you editing the script? Have your checked that if the script could be applied manually? Did you receive any error when the user logon? If so, please provide the detailed error message for research. Did you see any error in Event Log? If so, please also let me know. At this time, I suggest we check the information below to narrow down the cause of the issue. GPMC.log ================== a. On domain controller, click Start ->Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. b. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard) c. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report" => save report to save the report to a HTML file. Collect Gpsvc.log(Vista/Win 7) ============== To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry: Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel Type: REG_DWORD Vaule data: 0x30002 The Gpsvc.log is located in the following folder: %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Debug\UserMode\ Regards, Andy
July 11th, 2012 2:03am

hi guys, hope this will help someone who might encounter startup script that doesn't show during computer startup. i manage to solve the problem, with some Googling of course. It seems that need to tweak a bit on the GPO to show the startup script. Need to set these settings on the GPO. 1. Run asynchronously startup script -- set to disabled 2. Run startup scripts visible - set to enabled. and bingo the startup script shows and runs as expected. :)Every second counts..make use of it.
July 13th, 2012 4:00am

Hi cguan, I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved by yourself and thanks for sharing your solutions on the forum. If there is anything else i can do for you, please do not heisitate to let me know and i will be very happy to help. Regards, Andy
July 13th, 2012 4:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics