Windows 6.1 task scheduler unable to kill cscript processes it has spawned.
See Title. Please verify first and reply. Tested with Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2. Example vbs script: '-------------- WScript.StdIn.ReadLine '-------------- Regards.
January 26th, 2011 2:31pm

Hello, as this sounds like scirpting/programming please use the MSDN forum instead this one. Additional post a bit more details what you are trying to achive and do not use the title for the question. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/categories/Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2011 3:38pm

Dear Meinolf, let me explicate it by telling you the steps to reproduce it: 1.) Boot a clean installation of Windows 6.1 x64 (7 or 2008 R2) 2.) Log on as an administrator 3.) Create an plain ASCII vbs file somewhere with the only content: WScript.StdIn.ReadLine 4.) Start the Task Scheduler Management 5.) Start the "Create a basic Task..." Wizard 6.) Enter a name for the basic task 7.) Repeat to click "next" until you get to the textbox input for the program name 8.) Enter "%SystemRoot%\System32\cscript.exe" (without the quotes) in the program/script textfield and the filename with path of the vbs file you have created in step 3 into the arguments textfield 9.) Confirm with next 10.) Check the ckeckbox in the next dialogue to open the tasks properties 11.) Click Finish 12.) In the next window click "change user or group..." 13.) Enter without quotes "SYSTEM" 14.) click ok 15.) Activate "run with highes privileges" 16.) On the "settings" tab verify that the option "If the running task does not end when requested, force it to stop 17.) Confirm with the ok button 18.) Open Task manager 19.) goto the processes tab 20.) Make sure "Show processes from all users" is active 21.) Verify that no cscript.exe process is running yet 22.) Run the task you have created in the first steps on demand 23.) Verify that a cscript.exe process is now running 24.) End the task on demand 25.) Verify with task manager: Windows 6.1 task scheduler unable to kill cscript processes it has spawned. Doesn't look like a scripting/programming problem to me. Regards.
January 27th, 2011 4:15pm

Your configuration with WScript.StdIn.ReadLine caused this problem. In step 13, you choose SYSTEM account and ReadLine require input which will never be provided by SYSTEM account. if you juse choose current logon user in this step, you will see a CMD window waiting for your input. Remove ReadLine or use a interactive user to run this task. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 28th, 2011 2:30am

Dear Mervyn, WScript.StdIn.ReadLine is just an example for any script that might be hanging or operating in a loop and should therefore be restarted by the task scheduler. That's why I have explicitly mentioned step 16. Windows 6.1 task scheduler unable to kill cscript processes it has spawned. Regards.
January 28th, 2011 8:56am

I have tested and the issue doesn't occur. Just replace SYSTEM account or replace WScript.StdIn.ReadLine with wscript.echo "test" to see if there is any difference. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 29th, 2011 10:37pm

Dear Mervyn, you haven't followed the step-by-step reproduction process and changed the side parameters. Therefore you couldn't reproduce it. I told you I use WScript.StdIn.ReadLine to simulate a looping or hanging script. wscript.echo "test" is useless for that. I have also tested the local service account. Same problem. Windows 6.1 task scheduler unable to kill cscript processes it has spawned. Regards.
January 30th, 2011 6:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics