Windows 2012 File Cluster Deduplication Issue (Garbarge Collection not working)

Hi

I have a 2 node Windows 2012 Standard File Cluster with 5 cluster roles.  I have about 250TB of storage present to the cluster split down into lots of smaller sizes.  One of my colleagues enabled Data deduplication on one of the drives, the drive in question is 30TB in size.  Something happen over a course of 48 Hours and used up all the free space.

My problem is I have moved around 1TB data of the drive to another Drive but windows is still reports there is no disk space.

I have run the following command from powershell but it has not helped. 

"start-dedupjob -volume <DriveLetter> -Type GarbageCollection -Full" and "start-dedupjob -volume <DriveLetter> -Type GarbageCollection -Full -Priority High".  Both times I can see the job has been scheduled and is running with "Get-dedupjob" but the job just sites at 0% progress, I have left the job to run for 5 hours and still no change in the progress and no disk space reclaimed.

I have read on another forum to turn off Deduplication and then run the Garbagecollection again but when I turn off deduplication within seconds it has been re-enabled, almost like it does not turn it off.

This is a major issue for me and if anyone can help that would be grate.

Richard moth

April 30th, 2015 4:48am

Hi Richard,

Above all, if the system keeps saying "no enough disk space" even after you moving 1TB data to another place, you may first need to find out the cause of losing disk space. Is there any application which is generating logs, or trying to create data on that server?

Back to the deduplication issue, please check system resource specifially the memory usage as dedup requires free memory. You can schedule a dedup job in off hours to see the result. Also if disk is totally full, dedup may also fail to be started.

Meanwhile please check if any error occurs on Event for this issue.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2015 2:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics