Windows 2012: change network profile
Hi i have a query, how to change network profile to public from domain in a server on Windows 2012? Best regards Edgar Best Regards Edgar
September 12th, 2012 4:26pm

Hi, Thanks for your post. If the server is domain joined, when it starts to detect the network location, the machine will contact a DC via port 389. If this detection successful, it will get the domain profile. And we cannot change it. If the domain was not found or process failed, NLA will let you to determine which firewall profile will be used, private or public. For more information about Network Location Awareness, you may refer to the following article. It also applies to Windows 2012. Network Location Awareness (NLA) and how it relates to Windows Firewall Profiles http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2010/09/08/network-location-awareness-nla-and-how-it-relates-to-windows-firewall-profiles.aspx Best Regards, Aiden TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Aiden Cao TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2012 3:29am

Hi, How are things going? I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update or concern, please feel free to let us know. Best Regards, Aiden TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Aiden Cao TechNet Community Support
September 17th, 2012 9:48pm

Experiencing same issue where my Hyper-V Role Windows 2012 Standard Parent is setting itself up using the Network Location Profile of PUBLIC and shows 'not connected' for 'Domain' which is what it should be since this is a domain connected server. This is causing disruption with related networking elements that require the Windows Firewall to perform in the domain. A hosted VM running Windows 2008 R2 is one of two domain controllers in the current build environment where the second is a standalone Windows 2003 R2 installation with its Windows Firewall completely off. I've restarted the Win2012 NLA service without change. Dale Unroe BTW ...I can ping the VM by IPV4 and can ping using the NETBIOS name (IPV6 responses) but not the FQDN
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 18th, 2012 3:42pm

Hello I just set up a server 2012 with Hyper-V, configured a Server 2012 VM and added AD DS on it. After the configuration of AD DS I can ping the NetBIOS Domain name and the FQDN. The VM has an internal Network connection only. So I am logged on a well working domain controller (the first in the network). But it will get the "Guest or public networks profile" only. The "domain profile" was enumerated first after configuring a fixed IPv6 Adress on the DC. So the conclusion for Windows Server 2012: The IPv6-connectivity is important for the detection of the domain network. Best Regards HB
October 16th, 2012 6:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics