Windows 2008 x64 Server freezes
I am runing exchange 2007 on Windows 2008 SP1. Sometimes we are unable to logon either remotely or locally to the server. When we enter our credentiasls we get the "welcome" screen and thats it. Oddly some of the users are still able to send and recieve emails but not all. And the only solution is to hard reset the server.The hardware is an HP dl380 G5 with 28 gigs ram. I have upgraded the firemwaire on the ILO board, the Supportpack to get the latest drivers from HP, The bios is updated to current. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if they had any ideas?
March 4th, 2009 7:20pm

hi there,as far as my understanding users are unable to perform RDP session ?i would like to know since when is thsi problem encountering , is that after some updates ? rollup's ?can you confirm if this is happening physcially logging into the server ( which mean not RDP session ) can you please tell if any event id is getting logged on the server ?i wouldnt suggest you to disable any 3rd party services on the server unless we have some more information.sainath Windows Driver Development
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 4th, 2009 8:47pm

Hello,we have exactly the same problem (since about 3 months now, uptime until the problem arises between 1-2 days and 1-2 weeks)HP DL380 G5, 28GB Ram, Win2008 SP1, Exchange 2007 SP1 Rollup 6 (had same problem with Rollup 5).ProLiant Support Pack 8.15, but then also upgraded the individual dirvers to the following versions:HP NC Virtualbus 4.6.17.0HP NC Series Network Driver 4.8.4HP Network Config Utility 9.5Network Firmware 2.1.3.1HP System Insight 8.20HP Version Control 2.2.0.820iLO Mgmt Interface Drv 1.14.0.0SmartArray Drv 6.14.0.64Some users can still mail, other do not. Several times now I had still an open RDP Session - this continues to work, but new RDP Sessions, as well as login on the physical console hang at "Welcome" with the moving circle.Filesharing is still working (I can access and browse \\servername\c$)The only way to fix this is a hard shutdown, power off (even in the open RDP Session I'm not able to shutdown). In the still opened RDP Session I can run things like cmd, but was not able to launch Server Management (to see Event logs) - these windows just hang.Event Logs after the Reboot show a gap until the hard power on is done... the last logged errors are as follows:Log Name: SystemSource: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOMDate: 27.03.2009 05:31:08Event ID: 10010Task Category: NoneLevel: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: ***Description:The server {73E709EA-5D93-4B2E-BBB0-99B7938DA9E4} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.Log Name: ApplicationSource: Microsoft-Windows-WMIDate: 27.03.2009 05:29:08Event ID: 10Task Category: NoneLevel: ErrorKeywords: ClassicUser: N/AComputer: ***Description:Event filter with query "select * from __instancemodificationevent within 30 where targetinstance isa 'Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfDisk_LogicalDisk' and targetinstance.PercentFreeSpace < 1 and targetinstance.Name != '_Total'" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x800706be. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
March 27th, 2009 9:42am

Hi Daniel,I recommend that you initial a new post in this forum, thanks for your understanding.Best regards,Vincent Hu
March 27th, 2009 11:36am

Have you found a resolution to this. I have the exact same issue on a couple servers.
April 14th, 2009 5:52am

I suppose it has to do with either NIC Hardware or Driver. Since I put in a Intel NIC we had no more crashes. We used the onboard and an additional 2-Port Broadcom NIC from HP. This is now about 10 days ago. Before that, I had crashes every 2-3 days, but sometimes it also worked for a week. So it's not 100% sure this was the problem, we still hope ;-)
April 14th, 2009 1:33pm

Any update on this. I've seem other posts that indicate this is a problem with WMI. Did changing out the NIC resolve the problem for you?
April 29th, 2009 7:59pm

hi Rbellak,yes , as per danieldd, the problem was related to NIC card, and replacing his NIC hasent caused any crash . sainath Windows Driver Development
April 29th, 2009 8:08pm

NIC replacement did not solve the issue. We disabled the internal Broadcom NICs and installed 2port Intel NICs. It worked ok for 2-3 weeks, but now we had again this strange freezes. We'll go for the MS KB 952664 and hope this will finally fix it...
May 11th, 2009 8:55am

Hi everyone,We have exactly the same behavior. DL380 G5, Windows 2008 server and exchange 2007 rollup 6. Every 3 weeks, the server freeze and the last error is : The server {73E709EA-5D93-4B2E-BBB0-99B7938DA9E4} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.I'll open a case to support Microsoft.
May 13th, 2009 9:44am

I have had similar problems with servers freezing, one ML 350 G4 x86 and one ML 350 G5 x64 The problem was coming from the network driver, after the installation of one SBS 2008 Server on the ML 350 G5 cloning windows 2003 standard x86 to the ML 350 G4 i installed the Proliant Support Pack 8.20 Immediately after this with different intervals the servers freezed so there was no connecting possible. I found that during the installation of the support pack a broadcom driver was installed for the network controller while this was one from Intel. After i replaced the drivers with NC intel drivers from the HP site the problems were solved. This is a known issue which HP is aware of.
May 14th, 2009 10:21pm

I have had this exact same problem but with SBS 2008sp1, x64 and after dealing with MS support, managed to resolve it. Here are the relevant details from my experience with this issue: Hardware: - HP ML350 G5 - 10Gb Ram - SBS 2008 SP1 - Exchange 2007 SP1, Update Rollup 6 (v08.01.0340.000) - HP ProLiant Support Pack 8.20 - HP Firmware Maintenance 8.40 Symptoms: - New RDP Sessions and console logins hang at "Welcome" with the moving circle. - Unable to logoff existing RDP sessions and/or console logins - hangs. - Filesharing, RWW and OWA are still working however inbound and outbound email is not working and we can't connect to computer's from RWW. - In the still opened RDP Session I can run things like 'cmd' and 'Windows Explorer', but was not able to launch any MMC snap-in - these windows just hang. - Event Logs show a gap from the time the server was unresponsive til the power was reset - despite the FileSharing, RWW and OWA working while the server is un-responsive. - The only way to get past this is a power reset. An average response from HP Support said: "Your firmware maintenance version is much too old. Please install HP Firmware Maintenance CD v8.50 and see if this works". MS Partner Support were great and responded saying: "This issue is being caused by your server using a network card driver that utilizes TDI" MS Partner Support referenced the following blog article and MS KB article: http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive/2009/02/12/you-may-lose-network-connectivity-on-sbs-2008-when-using-a-driver-which-utilizes-tdi.aspx http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/961775 Installing the hotfix from the MS KB above resolved the issue for me. Hope this helps everyone else. Seems like 'jrhoukes' was on the right track. Kris
May 18th, 2009 12:34am

Hi Krobson,Thanks for your feedback and sharing!Best regards,Vincent Hu
May 19th, 2009 8:43am

Just to put this out there. Sorry I had not followed up on this earlier :)I was able to resolve this by removing the Broadcom nics from the server (two were imbeded so I simply uninstalled the drivers for thiose.) and uninstalled the HP network teaming drivers. I replaced the nics with Intel Nics and have been running now for over 48 days. In contrast my Swiss conterparts (were a swiss based company) did the same thing BUT replaced with HP branded intel nics and is still suffering from the freezes.Both sites have done everything including updates to firmware and drivers and even performed voodoo rituals. :) (j/k)So my suggestion is replace the nics with Intel and get away from the broadcom nics.
May 20th, 2009 11:52pm

Just to put this out there. Sorry I had not followed up on this earlier :)I was able to resolve this by removing the Broadcom nics from the server (two were imbeded so I simply uninstalled the drivers for thiose.) and uninstalled the HP network teaming drivers. I replaced the nics with Intel Nics and have been running now for over 48 days. In contrast my Swiss conterparts (were a swiss based company) did the same thing BUT replaced with HP branded intel nics and is still suffering from the freezes.Both sites have done everything including updates to firmware and drivers and even performed voodoo rituals. :) (j/k)So my suggestion is replace the nics with Intel and get away from the broadcom nics. Thanks Ochimo. All respect to you for fixing the problem yourself, nice one!Get your Swiss team to try the MS Hotfix I referenced above. This has certainly resolved it in the now 2 cases I have had this issue on completely different hardware - Fyi, these 2 server's had the latest drivers and firmware installed also - admittedly they weren't the manufacturer's drivers though, they were HP or Dell drivers from their respective websites.Installing a hotfix will be a lot less grief than locating new drivers, removing old ones and installing the new ones! :)Kris
May 26th, 2009 3:20am

Had the same issue with the RDP's connexions on an ML350 G4 (W 2003), it was after installing the support pack 8.20, our solution was to return to the previous version of the network drivers (from support pack 8.15), after that everything runned without issues.Roberto
May 26th, 2009 5:00pm

Hi All, Thanks for your sharing! I think the feedback will help the people who encounter the same issue. Best regards, Vincent Hu
May 27th, 2009 9:41am

Ochimo: I have read the thread. We are having a similar issue to you. We have tried all HP drivers and reinstalled Exchange CAS, IIS, and HUB roles on a new server. The server locked up shortly after. The hot fix referenced, did not work for us. After a lot of testing we moved HuB transport back to the original server. It has been up now for 3 days. The remain CAS, IIS server has locked up 5 times in the same period. Yesterday we traced the issue back to the installation of rollup 7. We implemented rollup 7 on Friday May 22nd, 24 hours later the HUB, CAS, IIS server hung for the first time. To compound issues we had been having spurious hangs on the mail store cluster since November last year. These hangs would be a little different in that they showed the login screen but froze when attempting to login. Initially we though the new hang was the same problem. We have discovered a configuration error with the mail cluster, where the cluster requires a third machine as a witness to the fail. Microsoft has more information on this. Without the witness the machine may hang or fail to roll to the other cluster node. Yesterday, on the advice of Microsoft, we went to rollup 8. So far all machines have stayed up. regards
June 5th, 2009 2:55pm

DanielDD: We are having a problem with the same symptoms. We did start having the problem until we went to rollup 7, we have now gone to rollup 8. This hang only affects the CAS machine, Mailbox and HUB run on other machines and have been fine. Rollup 8 was applied at 6pm jun 4th, so far the machine has stayed up, before it locked once or twice a night. Seems to lock more when people are using Outlook anywhere. we have a cluster running the mailbox role and two HP DL380 with 8GB each both running windows 2008, exchange 2007 SP1 now with rollup 8. One has HUB Transport only, the other the remaining roles. We do not use unified messaging. Only the machine running CAS hangs. regards, Russ.
June 5th, 2009 3:09pm

Thanks krobson, sorted my issues out.I had the exact symptons and they are gone. Cheers
December 1st, 2009 8:32am

Hello I am having the same issue with a system with this specification: DL380 G5 - two processors - mentioned in the microsoft KB as relevant Windows Server 2008 R2 Exchange 2010 SP1 Network adapter - HP NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter Can anyone tell me if this network adapter utilises TDI as mentioned above? Not sure if the fix applies to me. thank you
December 8th, 2010 3:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics