Windows 2008 with one nic registers all IP addresses associated with NIC with DNS.  I need to only register the primary IP address associated with the NIC.
The default behavior of Windows 2000 and 2003 is to only register the primary IP address associated with a NIC to DNS. However in Windows 2008 it will register all IP address associated with a NIC to DNS. Can I change this behavior to act more like Windows 2003 did.I have a Windows 2008 Server with a single nic that has a primary and secondary IP address assigned to it. I do not want it to register the secondary IP address with DNS. I have not been able to find any solution online.
April 30th, 2009 5:51pm

Are you talking the machine has more than one network port? as far as I know you cannot have more than one IP address assigned to one physical port. If you have multipule ports, then on the other ones perhaps don't check the "Register this connection in DNS" in the advanced area of the network configuration..?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 1st, 2009 9:19pm

Hi, server 2008 register all IP as MS has removed concept of primary and secondary IP. + Give a shot to below registry key. I didn't get chance to test personally but hopefully it should work. Make sure that you reboot box after implementing registry key,HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Adapters\<Interface name>\MaxNumberOfAddressesToRegister Data type: REG_DWORD Range: 0x0 - 0xFFFFFFFF Scope: Affects this adaptor only This setting determines the maximum number of IP addresses that can be registered in DNS for this adaptor. If the value of this entry is 0, IP addresses cannot be registered for this adaptor. Hope this helps
May 5th, 2009 8:17am

For Shemeckendeulglar I have only one NIC if this is what you mean by ports.For Shilpesh Desai:I found this regisrty hack on a article for Windows 2000 & 2003 and tried it on my Windows 2008 Server but it did not work.Surely Microsoft has a fix for this?
May 7th, 2009 12:18am

OK, i tested regkey as well and it didn't worked for me as well.+ I don't have answer as of now, i am still researching on it, as soon as i have something to share, will definitely update post.
May 8th, 2009 4:21am

Did you ever figure this out? We're seeing the same thing...all IP addresses on the interface register with DNS.
July 15th, 2009 10:37pm

I don't have any fix yet.
July 21st, 2009 8:21pm

Same problem here. I would really like a solution if anyone can find one.Thanks,Chris
September 8th, 2009 6:03pm

I work around this by disabling "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" in Advanced TCP/IP settings under the DNS tab for each NIC's TCP/IP Version 4 Properties. You also need to do this for TCP/IP Version 6. Then I manually go into the dns server and add the entries I need.
September 9th, 2009 7:45pm

There is hotfix that should fix your issues. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975808/EN-US
September 23rd, 2010 8:51pm

Then you clearly understand very little about Windows networking! You can have any number of IP addresses on a single physical adapter, and indeed they don't even need to be on the same subnet or use the same network mask! Having multiple addresses on an interface is common practice for server environments (not to mention essentials for clusters) where different applications and services (eg. websites, database instances) will have different incoming IP addresses assigned to them. I have the problem of all addresses registering in DNS myself on my home server. I'll try the hotfix listed at the end of this thread just as soon as I can get the download link to work... ;-)
November 1st, 2010 12:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics