Windows 2008 with Exchange Server 2008 Sp1 problems
Dear All, I installed on VMware a Windows 2008 enterprise Server. Running on VMware 6.5 made a virtual machine (Vista 64). hardware configuration network card bridged 2 SCSI HD 24 GB 2 GIG mem The rest of the virtual hardware is standard I installed the following - Enterprise Server 2008 - ip 192.168.1.100 subnet 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.1.1 DNS Server 192.168.1.100 - Uprgaded with DCpromo to a new domain Forrestdomaint.com - With the DC promo installed AD, DNS - Powershell - IIS with all the required addon to use exchange server 2007 Sp1. Changed a register key what is nessarary for windows Exchange server, otherwise you get a installation error in the exchange installation. Then I installed windows Ms exchange server 2007 In the installation i get a failure with my Transport service. He is unable to start up. After doing several reinstallations with windows Server and Exchange. I gave the hope up. allways the same problem, I cannot find a real answer on The net. All the solutions where useless For example, change the user for the start up service, in to a systemlocalaccount Install exchange server 2007 in the location that has being told by the installation guide. Well nothing works. someone has suggestions? moshimohs
April 13th, 2008 10:01pm

Hi, Since you installed a instance of Windows Server 2008 in VMware 6.5 for test, why did you configure a IP address as gateway? Please try removing the gateway in the TCP/IP configuration, and then try to install the Exchange Server 2007 to see if the issue will re-occur. Since this forum is mainly focus on the general questions about Windows Server 2008, if you have questions about Exchange Server 2007, I would like to initial a new thread in our Exchange Forum as followed. Exchange Forum: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=235&SiteID=17 Here is a TechNet blog of the Exchange Server team, just for your reference. Running Exchange with Windows Server 2008 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc137736.aspx How to Install Exchange 2007 SP1 Prerequisites on Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691354(EXCHG.80).aspx Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2008 1:23pm

Hi David Shen. Thank you very much for your information. I can agree that this question can belong to the Exchange Server 2007section. But most of the part, it still had to do not nothing with MS Exhange. I had more to do with how to configure your VMware or how to configure your Windows 2008 Server. I found the problem: Before I used DCPROMO, i removed the selection " Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPV6)" from my network card. This was a recomondation from a Website, where was standing how to install and configureWindows 2008 Server. For now in this time (April 2008) I do not use TCP/IPv6. So in this way I can understand the author his opinion of removing the above described selection. Why it is a must for the Transport protocol to use TCP/IPv6 is for me still a secret. I can understand we will use itin the future, but now.............. no not really. I didnt found any requirements that my TCP/IPv6 must be activated in the installation of windows Exchange server 2008. So personally I think it is a bug from Transport Edge Service that he is looking if the TCP/IPv6 protocol if he is enabled it will work. but when he is disabled the Transport service will not come up as Started. I hope that you, David will come up (because I see you are from Microsoft) with a good explanationWHY the TCP/IPv6 must being activated to finalise the installation of Windows Exchange Server 2007. So to come back again I think personally that this Item can be in the windows 2008 Section, but also in the windows exchange server 2008 section, It is a related problem that is a mix of Windows 2008 settings and how to install in a normal way Exchange server 2007. To comeback on your question; why I used the Gateway; A gateway is to communicate with my internal network and with the internet, because I am using a Transport Service, to Where my transport service must transport his Data (emails)to? to his own? a more logical thing is to add an active gateway in the Serversettings, then to activate my TCP/IPv6, because most of my hardware is at this moment not TCP/IPv6 compatible. Do you understand my point of view David? Thank you very much for your time, Robert
April 14th, 2008 4:16pm

I found the problem: Before I used DCPROMO, i removed the selection " Internet Protocol Version 6(TCP/IPV6)" from my network card. This was a recomondation from a Website, where was standing how to install and configureWindows 2008 Server. For now in this time (April 2008) I do not use TCP/IPv6. So in this way I can understand the author his opinion of removing the above described selection If you check this website then you can see with pictures how you must configure Windows 2008, to use for a installation of windows Exchange Server. (this is a clustered version installation) , http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/deploying-exchange-2007-sp1-ccr-cluster-windows-server-2008-failover-cluster-part1.html moshimosh
April 14th, 2008 4:32pm

Hi, Thank you very much for the knowledge sharing.
April 14th, 2008 4:48pm

Dear David, But to come back on my question, can you explain to me why TCP/IPv6 must being activated? I hope you can come with a answer. Moshimosh
April 14th, 2008 5:02pm

Hi, I totally understand your concern. After some research, I found this issue occurs often. Based on the further research, I found disabling IPv6 in the NIC card is not a complete disabling of IPv6 and we need to follow the registry change mentioned above to completely disable IPv6 and then install Exchange server 2007 on Windows Server 2008 box. Workaround: We need to completely disable IPv6 to install Exchange 2007 in the registry by following the below steps: Open Registry with "Regedit" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters Create a dword (32-bit) value and name it as "Disabled Components" and then click OK Double click "Disabled Components" and type 0xffffffff(hexadecimal value) or 4294967295 (Decimal value) Please note: The above value 0xffffffff(hexadecimal value) or 4294967295 (Decimal value) will disable all IPv6 components, except the IPv6 loopback interface. After making the above change in the registry, we may uninstall Exchange 2007 completely from the Windows 2008 box and then install exchange 2007 SP1 and it should be completed successfully. We have been award that is a document bug referring the below TechNet article. Our document team will update the article as soon as possible. IPv6 Support in Exchange 2007 SP1http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb629624.aspx Thank you very much for your understanding.
April 15th, 2008 9:56am

Thanks David that works for me. You are right you can only disable IPV6 not uninstall. Microsoft instructions are unclear, here is the on w/ the screenshot, Server 2008 uninstall ipv6 .
May 15th, 2009 1:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics