Windows 2008 session lock by other user than logged in user
So, While I am patching windows 2008 servers, I usually set one to begin patching and move onto another RDP session to another win 2008 server to patch that one. I have about 85 to 90 servers to patch, so by the time i get back to the first one to reboot it or log off of it, the session is usually locked (15 minute screen lockout policy). However it is not locked by me, it is usually another admin that I know was not logged into the server nor is even awake (I work mid nights all by myself) I thought at first, well maybe they had an inactive session when I logged in and the screen is defaulting to their username..... But after researching and investigating this issue month after month, I noticed when I logged in there was nobody else logged in.... This made me scratch my head but it didn't matter because multiple user are allowed to logon the servers and if not I have domain admin and if needed (but never was) I could end their session..... However today a customer called and said he was the one and only user logged into a windows xp session, and we will call him user A. Now user A computer screen got locked out, even when it was not inactive for 15 minutes... The weird thing is that it got locked out by User B that was logged into the computer earlier in the day.... User A and User B have equal permission tied to their AD account name. No remote is allowed for User A or B , somehow the computer glitched and thought User B locked the screen when really User A was logged in.... So I'm guessing the same thing that I view when another users locks out my session in server 2008 is happening All I have to ask is WTF? Anyone experience this? the only thing that is consistent from my research , on each system this happens, there are profiles for User A and B on the computer/server in question.... but still does not make sense that User B locks the screen for user A ...... User A cannot unlock his own screen because he does not have permission to end any active or inactive session on any computer..... But WTF User B automatically my some kind of magic just locked out User A session even though User B is most likely in his car on the way home? The user says this happens at about 07:30 PM when it does happen........ Both users have to rights to change any service properties and run any scheduled task OR anything ...... They are just users with just normal user permissionsV@nd3
August 24th, 2012 1:30am

Both users have to rights to change any service properties and run any scheduled task OR anything ...... They are just users with just normal user permissions Both users have No rights to change any service properties and run any scheduled task OR anything ...... They are just users with just normal user permissions V@nd3
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2012 1:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics