Windows 2008 server rejects any kind of timeserver sync
Hi, i'm getting quite frustrated so any help will be welcome...Situation:I'm using 3 (identical) Windows 2008 Enterprise build 6001 SP1 servers.2 of the servers and workstations need to sync with the pdc.(this works allright)The PDC needs to synchronize with a time server.(using ntp.xs4all.nl and/or time.nist.gov)I've read topics like:http://www.1stbyte.com/2009/04/07/configure-windows-server-2003-and-2008-w32tm-commands-on-domain-controller/http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759631%28WS.10%29.aspxhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263%28WS.10%29.aspxhttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=91969Whatever i try, regedit/w32tm /config's nothing seems to work.Changes which i make with w32tm /config /manualpeerlist etc are visiblein regedit and visa versa, but a w32tm /resync return an error:Sending resync command to local computerThe computer did not resync because no time data was available.When i check the status:w32tm /query /status:Leap Indicator: 0(no warning)Stratum: 1 (primary reference - syncd by radio clock)Precision: -6 (15.625ms per tick)Root Delay: 0.0000000sRoot Dispersion: 10.0000000sReferenceId: 0x4C4F434C (source name: "LOCL")Last Successful Sync Time: 5-11-2009 12:09:16Source: Local CMOS ClockPoll Interval: 6 (64s)It'll still say it's source is CMOS.What's wrong? Am i looking in the wrong direction ?
November 5th, 2009 2:31pm

Hello,make sure that on the DC with the PDCEmulator role, check with 'netdom query fsmo', the firewall is not blocking port 123 UDP, otherwise synchronization fails.I assume you run this command on it:w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:PEERS /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /updatewhere you replaced PEERS with the above mentioned time servers.Did you run the command with an elevated command prompt, RUNAS?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 9th, 2009 2:14am

Hi, thank you for replying, I'm sure, checked it again, pdc roles are on the right server. Windows Firewall is off, main firewall is configured ok, for instance: manual command for offset(/stripchart) runs fine I ran the command elevated, doesn't work either. kind regards
November 9th, 2009 10:34am

Hi, To better understand the issue, please collect the following information on the PDC: 1. Please open Registry Editor and export the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time. 2. Run gpresult /z > gpresult.txt After that, please upload the information above to the following space: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=004444a8-87d0-47e0-8701-614966583f00 Password: P326lebm9BW2H7d^ I look forward to your response.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 10th, 2009 2:10pm

Hi, To better understand the issue, please collect the following information on the PDC: 1. Please open Registry Editor and export the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\W32Time. 2. Run gpresult /z > gpresult.txt After that, please upload the information above to the following space: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=004444a8-87d0-47e0-8701-614966583f00 Password: P326lebm9BW2H7d^ I look forward to your response. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. I took a while, but they're there: gpresult.txt & export.reg thank you in advantage,
November 12th, 2009 11:57am

Hi, The settings seems to be correct. I suspect that the cause of the issue is that the system cannot resolve the DNS name of the time server time.nist.gov.Please run w32tm /resync /rediscover on the PDC and let me know the Time-Service events logged in the System log (Event Viewer\Windows Logs\System). Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 13th, 2009 10:56am

Hi, While running the command i get: "Sending resync command to local computer The computer did not resync because no time data was available." No rows/info shows in eventviewer... thank you
November 16th, 2009 1:18pm

Hi Joson,I am having the same problem with server 2008 R2 Enterprise. I have checked all the things above but still get the same messageSending resync command to local computerThe computer did not resync because no time data was available.I can ping time.nist.gov from the pdc and get good reply. I have no firewall configured.Any assisstance is appreciatedThanks
November 17th, 2009 4:35pm

Hello,do you use Windows DNS server and is FORWARDING configured to an external DNS server and do all clients only use domain DNS servers on the NIC?Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 18th, 2009 2:32am

Hey , The 3 servers all run windows DNS. They use wlg2008p (the pdc) as the main/first server. also they use 2 other local dns servers, and the router as a dns server settings are configured by DHCP No forwarding is configured.
November 18th, 2009 7:36pm

We're having the same problem, except that once manually set, the server randonly jumps the time ahead 35 minutes. I have NEVER seen anything like this before. I have ntp.okistate.edu and pool.ntp.org set up in the registry to sync from. I have the "SpecialPollInterval" set to 14400 seconds (4 hours to avoid being blocked. As many of our transactions are time-critical (We're a Credit Union), this is getting to be business affecting. Help!Larry
November 20th, 2009 10:31pm

Hi again, I tried every thing now, i'm afraid there's something else wrong. I also tried setting up a local vista and win7 pc to time sync externally, they work fine. The other 2008 servers fail to sync externally. I'm getting a feeling that it's 2008 server which has some kind of problem with timesync ? Please help! Thank you guys in advantage and for all the help allready
November 25th, 2009 12:16pm

Bernard, Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am experiencing a very similar problem and have spent days searching for a solution. Thanks in advance, Jason
May 4th, 2010 10:55pm

here is the typical solution to this problem, and some good information about thing to look for. W32Time does not synchronize time with any time source http://networkadminkb.com/kb/Knowledge%20Base/Windows2003/W32Time%20does%20not%20synchronize%20time%20with%20any%20time%20source.aspx I updated the link
May 4th, 2010 11:10pm

Gunner999, Thanks, but I think you may have pasted the wrong link. The one you listed is for setting AD audit policies. I'm dealing with a problem synchronizing time to a manual list of peers. There is a SystemTimePrivilege (a.k.a. "Change the system time") policy in the Default Domain Controllers policy. I have verified that Local Service is listed there and that the W32Time service is running under that ID. Otherwise I don't believe there is any AD dependence at all for our implementation of W32Time.
May 5th, 2010 3:37pm

Anything at all in Event Viewer for W32time?
May 5th, 2010 4:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics