Windows 2008 server and concurrent connections
When installing w2k3 there was a screen where you defined number of max concurrent connections allowed per server.In w2k8 there is no such screen.Is there any default number of concurrent connections predefined or there is no limit? tnx.
February 21st, 2008 10:23am

Are you sure you aren't thinking about the license countin Windows Server 2003? I know it asked that, but I don't remember it ever asking for a maximum number of connections. I don't think there is any practical limit, i.e. the number is quite large. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 22nd, 2008 2:28am

When you set licences per server then it means number of concurrent connections allowed on that server. In w2k8 there is no suchwindow where you enter that. Strange.
February 22nd, 2008 10:12am

I guess that depends on how you define concurrent connections. If by concurrent connections you mean the number of legally licensed systems that can access it, then yes, you are right. But if by concurrent connections you mean the number ofnetwork connections that can be made to the system concurrently, no, that isn't the case. The number entered during the installation of Windows Server 2003 was just a licensing number. It did notenforce the number of connections. For example, if you said you had five CALs and you had five servers with each server having a connection to every other server, you would have a total of 20 connections in the environment, but you were properly licensed. And, you could have each server having two connections to each of the other servers, giving you eight connections to each server, and you would still be legal. Since it was more of a bookkeeping entry rather than an enforcement structure, I think it makes sense to not have to enter it. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 22nd, 2008 1:52pm

Hi, I think there are main two factors that might affect the concurrent connection. One is Client Access Licensing , the other is SMB (Server Message Block) setting. For Client Access licensing of Windows Server 2008, please refer to: Client Access Licensing http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/client-licensing.aspx As for SMB (Server Message Block) setting in Windows server 2008, I think there will be more relevant information published as Windows Server 2008 officially releases. I hope this helps. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che Microsoft Online Community Support
February 22nd, 2008 1:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics