Windows 2008 server - Stored User Names and Passwords disappear each night
This suddenly started happening but cannot pinpoint it down to when. I have several network credentials saved in the stored usernames and passwords. I can enter them in just fine, I can log out/in as well as reboot and they're still there. They're also still there several hours later. However, when I log onto the server in the morning, they're all gone. So far I've ran a virus scan and uninstalled software that was installed in the past couple months, with no luck. I have no idea. The server is a personal web server and is not part of a domain. It's fully up to date. Any ideas? Thanks.
November 11th, 2010 5:41am

Hi, Stored User Names and Passwords credentials are stored in two files in the user's profile. The files are encrypted with user's password. The two files are used as a local store and a roaming store. • Local: • %appdata%\Microsoft\Credentials\ SID • Roaming: • %Appdata\Microsoft\Credentials\ SID During the logon process, while the profile is loading, Stored User Names and Passwords reads the files and loads them into non-paged memory. To better understand the issue, please help check the following: 1. Please rename and create a new user profile to see whether this problem persists. 2. Please boot the server into a Clean Boot environment and check if the issue occurs again. 3. Please create a new user and check whether this issue happens to the newly created user. 4. When this problem happens, please run the following command in elevated Command window and check whether the Stored user name and password is there although they are not displayed in UI. Cmdkey /list Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 12th, 2010 4:42am

Hi, Any update? If there is anything unclear, please do not hesitate to respond back. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 17th, 2010 4:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics