Windows 2008 server: How to restore from backup image?
Hi there. I recently installed Windows 2008 server on a machine. I installed the backup service and made a full machine backup. Now that I am happy on this test machine with 2008 server ; I want to re-install it on an almost identical machine (just a faster CPU and more RAM) that will become the production box. When I boot the 2008 server DVD (x64) ; then select "System Image Recovery" , check the USB disk to which I earlier made the backup on. I can select the backup file. However when it comes to restoring the data I get the message: "the selected system image cannot be restored in this recovery environment. To restore this system image: 1. Instert a system repair disc or a Windows installation disc for Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008 (x64). 2. Boot the computer from the disc 3. Choose "Restore your computer using a system image that you created earlier', and then select this system image. This is *precisely* what I am doing. Any ideas why it won't re-install this system image? I tried with both a backup I made on a USB external disk ; or one I made on a network drive. No difference. Thank you Jean-Yves
February 23rd, 2011 9:44pm

To add to this question. I tried using wbadmin. I get the error "The processor architecture or OS version of Windows Recovery Environment is not the same as that of the computer that was backed up. ..." I use the same DVD as I used to install Windows 2008 on the original machine. Just in case my DVD was broken, I re-downloaded the 180 days trial edition (x64 bits) : getting the same result :(
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2011 9:53pm

" Almost identical" is not good enough for an image backup. It needs to be indentical in every way, preferably the very same machine. That is what it is designed to do - reload the image on the same machine.Bill
February 23rd, 2011 10:46pm

It is the same machine, make and model but for a 2.6GHz processor vs 2.4GHz So what's the best way to transfer all the data across ?
February 23rd, 2011 10:51pm

Hi, Since you obtain the error "The processor architecture or OS version of Windows Recovery Environment is not the same as that of the computer that was backed up. ...", we can infer the different processor is the culprit. Please understand that Bare Metal Restore cannot be guaranteed to restore to a computer with different hardware. It is always recommended to restore to a computer with same hardware. Tim Quan
February 23rd, 2011 11:10pm

Why would I see example of a restore of an Intel machine to an AMD machine work ; but not from a P8400 processor to P8600 processor. I then found that if using a Windows 7 x64 installer , it let me restore on that machine. However, something is screwy with the boot loader because the machine after a reboot just shows a black screen. JY
February 24th, 2011 8:11pm

Hi, It’s hard to say why some work but others do not. Anyway, this is not a recommended backup and restore method. If it works, you are lucky. Otherwise, it is an expected behavior. Tim Quan
February 28th, 2011 4:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics