Windows 2008 registers wrong NIC in dns
Hi, I have a Windows 2008 server with 2 NICs. One is for the clients to connect to, the other is for the iSCSI access. The iSCSI NIC has the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" option disabled. However, sometimes, the server decides it needs to register the iSCSI ip address in the dns and keeps doing that every hour . I have allready enables the option, save the changed en then once again disabled the option and saved that, just in case, but that did not help. :-( This server is a DC and a dns server, but because it registers the iSCSI ip number along with the "regular" ip number suddenly most clients cannot reach teh server. :-( We had this problem before last year and after fidling some with the same settings and deleting the wrong A record a few times the problem went away. However, yesterday it started again and we do not know why. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there a know bug that sometimes causes this? I have multiple other Windows 2008 servers which are also using iSCSI and are DC but they are not also a dns server. Maybe that has something to do with it, but.... I don't know what.
July 13th, 2011 11:53am

Its not a bug its a feature of running multihorned DC - DNS. Do a search on the net for multihomed DC'er, that should give you something to go for. There is a person describing your problem exactly, also that it did not work disabling autoregistration of DNS ...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 13th, 2011 12:13pm

you should see this and make it sure that NIC binding order should be your LAN interface http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959739.aspx http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
July 13th, 2011 12:18pm

Hello Jesper, If what you write is correct then it seems Microsoft has done something that makes it impossible to use iSCSI on a Windows DC. Reading the various kb articles it seems this has been a long known problem. I would have thought MS would have solved this by now as more and more people wil start using iSCSI stuff. The iSCSI stuff is part of a standard Windows server installation these past few years. Using iSCSI may suffer from the same problems as multihoming a DC but it is just a way of reaching that disk. It has nothing to do with internet access or serving different networks without a router. It is simply a case where the iSCSI network is completely seperate from the "client" network, as it should be. I sure hope MS will fix this asap as otherwise I will have a serious problem. And I expect others to get into similar problems.
July 13th, 2011 12:51pm

Hiya, Basically the problem begins the same instant you have two NICS with seperate IP adresses. Doesnt matter what you use them for :) I'd proberly look into binding your DNS server to one specific NIC, rather than just using all..
July 13th, 2011 1:04pm

Hi, The funny thing is.... this problem has been absent for several months. I have a second server that also uses iSCSI and is a DC and THAT server has only one dynamic dns A record, the one it is supposed to register. As a DC needs to be able to register al soorst of things in the dns I don't think it is a good idea to disable dyndns. As the netlogon seems to ignore those settings anyway it's no use anyway. I will have to create a seperate Dc and dns server that somehow does not use iSCSI. :-(
July 13th, 2011 1:43pm

Hi Bonno, Thank you for your post. Since your DC is running DNS server service, it need another two steps in DNS console to disable register your iSCSI NIC IP. More details please refer to KB2023004. If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.Regards, Rick Tan
July 14th, 2011 8:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics