Windows 2008 on IA64
Hi, I am trying to install Longhorn for IA64 bit on DELL 3250 IA64 bit server. Installation porocess starts but after copying the required files to start the installation, machine hangs. It never prompts with the Longhorn installation setup screen. Can someone help in this? 1. Is Longhorn for IA64 supported on DELL 3250 IA64 bit server? 2. If yes, do I need to change any setup changes in BIOS or anything to make it work. Thanks in advance. ~Krishna
September 17th, 2007 6:14pm

As far as I know it's only the Datacenter Edition that will have IA64-support. Which version are you trying to install?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2007 6:24pm

Hello, I managed to install the RC0 release of Windows 2008 on my Dell 3250 without any problems. But before that I updated the BIOS/EFI/BMC/FRU/SDR firmware up to the latest possible. I have two Itanium 2 CPU's at 1.4 GHz with 4MB cache each. Since Dell support kinda sucks I had to obtain everything from Intel website here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1073 The latest firmware that my server with the current CPU's can support is SR870BH2 PR8.2 Build 224 SUP Package for Itanium 2 Processor with up to 6MB L3 cache I didn't have any problems at all (except I was unable to install any version of Oracle DB, but that's not a problem of either Dell or Microsoft). Regards, Martin
December 13th, 2007 10:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics