Windows 2008 dropping off the network
We have an Windows 2008 Server 64-bit that drops off our network after 2-3 days of uptime. We can still RDP into the server by name, but once on the server, name resolution does not work at all. This server has domain controller, WINSand DNS roles on it.When this happens in the system log we are getting an Event ID 1030 - Group Policy - I am assuming at this point name resolution is broken and the error is caused by that.Does anyone have any suggestions?
December 24th, 2008 5:29pm

I checked my other Windows 2008 DC/DNS Server and it to had the same problems as the other one. Both are registered properly in our DNS zone. Does anyone have any ideas?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 25th, 2008 5:30pm

Hi,Event ID 1030 may not be related to network problem. Please help to clarify the following questions for troubleshooting.1. When did the issue start to occur? 2. Is there any software or hardware installed before this issue?3. Could you ping or use \\servername to visit the problematic system? Please help to collect the following log file. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=00ad0eac-720f-4441-9ef6-ea9f657b5c2f&DisplayLang=en Download MPSRPT_PFE.EXE and send report file to tfwst@microsoft.com for research.Thanks.
December 26th, 2008 5:47am

1. error occurs on both of our Windows 2008 servers, random 2.Nope, nothing has change in terms of hardware or software on the servers3. Yes, I can ping by name from clients
December 26th, 2008 6:26pm

PFE report has been emailed. Thanks!
December 26th, 2008 6:43pm

The server went again off the network with the netlogon/group policy errors
December 27th, 2008 6:38pm

Hi,Thank you for your update and information. Currently, I suggest we focus on the Network issue to avoid confuse. I will help to troubleshoot the Event Log error after we solve this issue. From the log files, we can find the main DNS server is this server LMLWNSDDG itself and there is error about AD and DNS " The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly."I suggest you try to change main DNS server for troubleshooting. Please also change WINS server to other server. At the same time, please try to update Broadcom BCM5708S NetXtreme II GigE driver to the latest WHQL drivers. If the issue still persists, please try to disable current enabled NIC and enable disabled one to test. Thanks.
December 29th, 2008 3:10pm

Thank you for the suggested actions, I will do what you are recommending. But this problem is happening on both of my Windows 2008 server and they are on different hardware platforms.
December 29th, 2008 3:14pm

This issue continues to happen, do you have any other suggestions, we do have a PSS call opened for this issue.
January 1st, 2009 8:29pm

This is still happening. I did apply KB950876 to the system.Are there any of hotfixes that might help my situation?
January 4th, 2009 6:19pm

Hi, We still cannot determine the cause of this issue since its intermittent. With regards to your original description " We can still RDP into the server by name, but once on the server, name resolution does not work at all", could you let me know your exact operation? If we can RDP into this server, it indicates network connection was not lost completely. Please let me now detailed error about name resolution. Thanks.
January 8th, 2009 2:24pm

At this point, when a group policy failed, name resolution worked fine with all my DCs in the domain (pinging them). gpupdate /force fails - says there is an issue with name resolution. Microsoft PSS has been working the issue. Our Case number isSRX081229600080, if you want to look at it.this is the first event that happens:Event ID: 1030Description: The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to retrieve new Group Policy settings for this user or computer. Look in the details tab for error code and description. Windows will automatically retry this operation at the next refresh cycle. Computers joined to the domain must have proper name resolution and network connectivity to a domain controller for discovery of new Group Policy objects and settings. An event will be logged when Group Policy is successful.second event:Event ID: 1054Description: The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not obtain the name of a domain controller. This could be caused by a name resolution failure. Verify your Domain Name Sysytem (DNS) is configured and working correctly.
January 8th, 2009 3:17pm

Hi,The Error ID 1030 may be caused by incorrect permission settings. For your reference, the following steps may help to narrow down the cause of this issue. 1. From client computer, try to visit \\server 1\SYSVOL folder directly. Is there any error? 2. If we cannot access \\server 1\SYSVOL, please let us know the detailed error message and help to collect the Directory Service MPS report on server that includes the AD diagnosis logs. The DCDIAG will check the health of the AD service and you can find some useful information in it. You can also send the MPS report to tfwst@microsoft.com for further investigation.Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools (MPSRPT_DirSvc.EXE)http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en If you can access SYSVOL folder but the issue continues, please also help to collect MPS Report for research. Thank
January 9th, 2009 6:31am

If you want please read the case notes, this is very strange. We are collecting data for Microsoft at this time.
January 10th, 2009 5:16pm

I think this soundsexactlylike our issue:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/5f61fc42-6fdb-4099-8da6-cb5f1f309268The GPO warnings may be a red-herring as they are the only 'nasty' looking errors in the event log and may be indicative that network resolution is failing.Initially this only happened on 1 of our domain controllers but yesterday it happened to my other domain controller which holds the FSMO roles. Both are GCs, DHCP, DNS.Initially I thought it was specific to the other domain controller but as it has happened to DC1 as well as DC2 I am no longer sure.I can tell you that whilst the models are different both of these run 64 bit Server 2008 and both are Dell branded kit. An R200 and a 2950 III both of which came with server 2008 64bit as OEM.Both have the broadcom lan cards - is this a potential cause?
February 9th, 2009 3:27pm

Just to add a little more.Are you also using Broadcom NICs?I have seen this post today which again sounds very similar:http://www.424help.com/news/2008/12/17/windows2008-server-network-connectivity-problem/
February 9th, 2009 4:15pm

Yes, it was a Dell server but it happened with an HP also.I am waiting on an hotfix from Microsoft on this issue. It was the Trendmicro Officescan that was causing the problem - they said they had a couple of other customers with the same problem. I have not heard back from them yet on this. I will keep everyone posted.
February 10th, 2009 3:48am

Thanks - please do keep us updated as I am still having this problem every now and then.Happened again last night after 42 days of uptime on the domain controller.We use McAfee 8.7.0 on the 2 domain controllers not Trend but the issues sounds so similar.When it occurs can you access AD Users & Computers on the server with the issue?
February 15th, 2009 11:51pm

We finally got the hotfix for this issue. I will let you know if it corrects it. We just uninstalled our AV on our domain controllers as a temporary solution.
February 16th, 2009 5:56pm

Hello sabo_eI think we have the same issue. Can yousay whitch hotfix you have? And work it now fine?CheersZonk_007
April 23rd, 2009 8:59am

What is the hotfix? I am having the exact same issue.
November 12th, 2009 9:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics