Windows 2008 and IE7 Crashing
Hi,Has anyone encounted an issue with Windows 2008 SP2 crashing IE7? I have tried reinstalling this multiple times on my machine and everytime i open IE7 it crashes with a program not responding message and there doesn't seem to be anything i can do to fix. I have tried upgrading to IE8 from the downloads of the technet sites and it won't let me upgrade, it gives me a message about it not being a valid operating system. I have tried running without add-ons and all sorts of things and nothing seems to help. The issue is that this is a scratch install and i have done nothing to it apart from try run it. Below is the message i am getting. Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e01e18, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 7.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e02cf4, exception code 0x4000001f, fault offset 0x006fc966, process id 0x870, application start time 0x01ca97e156fe9a84.Thanks,Simon
January 19th, 2010 2:43pm

Does IE crash in Safe Mode?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 20th, 2010 7:13am

Hi Simon, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot this issue: Step 1 Reset IE ========== 1. Click Start, Run, type: “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotation marks) and press Enter. 2. Switch to the Advanced tab. 3. Click the "Reset..." button. 4. Click Reset to confirm the operation. 5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished. 6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions*" option in the Browsing box. 7. Click Apply, click OK. Step 2: Use Ad-Aware to clean up spyware from the system ===================================== 1. Download and install Ad-Aware from the following page: http://lavasoft.element5.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. 2. Click the Start Button -> "All Programs" -> "Lavasoft Ad-aware SE Personal" -> "Ad-Aware SE Personal" to start Ad-Aware. (Note: If there is a popup box asking whether or not to check for definition updates, please click OK and click Connect. Click OK to download and install the latest definition, and then click Finish.) 3. Click "Start" in the Ad-Aware window, and then click "Next" to start the scan. 4. After the scan is finished, click "Next", click the check boxes on the "Critical Objects" tab to select them, click "Next", and then click OK to confirm the removal. This will remove all found spyware objects. Restart the computer. Step 3 Safe Mode ============ Restart the computer and keep pressing F8 to enter Safe Mode. Does IE7 still crash? If not, let’s try Step 4. Step 4 Clean Boot =========== Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps: 1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter. Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK. Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue. If the issue persists, you may install the system from scratch again. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
January 20th, 2010 7:28am

Hi Simon, How are things going? I have not heard back from you in a few days and wanted to check on the status of the issue. Please let me know how things turned out. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 22nd, 2010 4:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics