Windows 2008 Won't Start Base Filtering Engine - Access Denied
Having an issue with a 32 bit Win2k8 server not starting the base filtering service and the services that depend upon it (obviously). Have applied various registry permissions as detailed on this and other forums, I've checked the DACLs on all non-MS services, I've run the Sysinternals Process monitor which hasn't reported anything unusual, I've done a clean boot, I've disabled all non-ms services, I've reset Winsock and nothing seems to work. Any further ideas? Thanks in advance -Edit- I've also checked GPO's, nothing there either. Have logged a Business Critical Support call with MS yesterday evening at 7pm, supposed to be a 2 hour response, I'm still waiting after 17 hours!
December 15th, 2010 9:08am

Hi, I would like to suggest you export and import the registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\BFE\Parameters\Policy” from a good Windows Server 2008 32-bit computer to check the result. For more information about how to troubleshoot the "Access is denied" issue when you attempt to start the Base Filtering Engine service, please refer to the following TechNet blog: "Access is denied" when you attempt to start the Base Filtering Engine service, after upgrading from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 R2 http://blogs.technet.com/b/rspitz/archive/2010/09/19/quot-access-is-denied-quot-when-you-attempt-to-start-the-base-filtering-engine-service-after-upgrading-from-windows-server-2003-to-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=1eeb0cda-7a00-43f0-8e93-1fe6a6fbe6eb Password: -)n*{poxtmflja Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding. Collect Process Monitor log =================== 1. Download Process Monitor from the link: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/processmonitor.mspx. 2. Extract ProcessMonitor.zip and run Procmon.exe. 3. Start the Base Filtering Engine service to reproduce the issue. 4. Once the issue occurs, go into Process Monitor window, press Ctrl + E to stop capturing and press Ctrl + S to save the log. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 16th, 2010 1:58am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics