Windows 2008 Standard 64 bit compression
I am using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 and they told me that in order to get software compression on my backuped files I would need to enable compression on the NTFS locally attached backup folders. I have always been leary of enabling any type of compression due to the stories I always have heard. So what is the official word from Microsoft on enabling compression? I would not be enabling compression on the operating system drive just on an a raided data only array attached to the server. I do not understand why Symantec requires this to be turned on to compress the backup files, does anyone know?
June 17th, 2011 12:11pm

Enabling compression is fullly supported in Microsoft Windows 2008With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 17th, 2011 12:17pm

I understand that it can be done, however you did not address any of my concerns.
June 17th, 2011 1:15pm

I understand that it can be done, however you did not address any of my concerns. Hello, "I do not understand why Symantec requires this to be turned on to compress the backup files, does anyone know?" Your concerns please discuss in the Symantec forum, as they are not belonging to Microsoft as compression is full supported within Microsoft.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 19th, 2011 6:07am

hi, Http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251186 is the best practices for enabling compression on NTFS folders. But to know more , you have to contact symantec about the best practices.
June 19th, 2011 10:14pm

Good article, wish it had some more depth though.
June 20th, 2011 8:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics