Windows 2008 Server startup error
When booting up a server with Windows 2008 installed, get an error message "Operating System Not Found". How do I repair?
February 4th, 2010 12:50am

Hi TDArmer,This issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true: The basic input/output system (BIOS) does not detect the hard disk. The hard disk is damaged. Sector 0 of the physical hard disk drive has an incorrect or malformed master boot record (MBR).Note Some third-party programs or disk corruption can damage an MBR. An incompatible partition is marked as Active. A partition that contains the MBR is no longer active. Can you run into Windows 2008 installation DVD's recovery console to find the OS drive? If yes, this issue might be caused by an incompatible partition is marked as Active.To resolve it, please follow the steps below:1. Start the computer to the WinPE 2.x environment or from Vista or Windows Server 2008 installation media. 2. Type Diskpart , and then press ENTER. 3. At the DISKPART command prompt, type List Disk , and then press ENTER. Note the number of the disk that you want to work with. 4. At the DISKPART command prompt, type Select disk <DiskNumber> , and then press ENTER. Note <DiskNumber> is the disk number that you want to work with. You should receive a message that resembles the following: Disk <DiskNumber> is now the selected disk 5. At the DISKPART command prompt, type List partition , and then press ENTER. Note the number of the partition that you want to mark as active. 6. At the DISKPART command prompt type Select partition <PartitionNumber> , and then press ENTER. Note <PartitionNumber> is the partition number that you want to mark as active. You should receive a message that resembles the following: Partition <PartitionNumber> is now the selected partition 7. At the DISKPART command prompt, type Active , and then press ENTER. 8. At the DISKPART command prompt, type Exit , and then press ENTER 9. Restart the computer. For more information, please check the following KBs:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321626http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315261Regards,Wilson Jia This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 4th, 2010 9:09am

Thank you for your reply. Actually found a MS KB document (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392) detailing how to use the Bootrec tool in WindowsRE. Ran the /FixMbr and /RebuildBcd commands. Rebooted right back into Windows Server 2008 desktop. Not sure what caused the corrupted boot sector but possibly a defective disk drive. Loading Windows OS also seems to hang on every 3rd or 4th boot so I suspect some other hardware issues are present. I will check to see if the server manufacturer has any updated system drivers for Windows 2008 and run some more diagnostics. I hate unstable servers! Thanks, Tracy
February 4th, 2010 9:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics