Windows 2008 Server freezes for 45 minutes while registry is being backed up.
Greetings. We are running Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2008 server. We are running backup software called Retrospect on this server. When we backup the c:\ drive (with system state) the actual data backup goes very smoothly/fast. Once it gets to the system state portion of the backup (specifically this point in the retrospect log): T-36: Copying Meta Info for Component: Registry The entire server (including exchange) completely stops responding. By "stops responding" I mean: Local Console Remote Desktop Exchange/Outlook If I let the backup complete after about 45 minutes the server returns to normal. I contacted the people who make Retrospect and they told me it is an issue with the registry on my Windows Server. They told me that I should try backing up the server using the Windows Backup utility and that it should cause the same exact problem to occur because it uses VSS just like retrospect. When I backup the c:\ drive with full restore capabilities using the built in Windows Backup utility it backs up the entire thing in like 3 minutes without any sort of incident whatsoever. Also, if I go into regedit and export the registry to a file it takes a few minutes (it's a 2GB registry) but it completes without incident. Does anyone know what could be going on here? It didn't always do this, I thought that it coincided with upgrading retrospect agent to a newer version but I downgraded it back and it seems to still do this. I don't think their support knows what is going on. Thanks in advance for any clarity you can provide. -Drew
April 20th, 2011 8:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics