Windows 2008 Server connectivity issues...
Hello All, I am having a problem with our new Windows 2008 Server and I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies. The issue is that every so often (twice in the past 7 days) it requires a reboot to allow for accessing/reading/writing to it's shares or connecting via remote desktop (we don't keep a monitor, mouse, or keyboard on it). After the reboot everything seems to work properly. Specs: Windows 2008 Server Standard x64 SP2 RAM: 4.00 GB Roles installed: Active Directory Domain Services DNS Server File Services Print Services Web Server (IIS) I did a Windows Update recently (1/11/2011) after the first connectivity issues so it should have the most recent updates (and may have caused the problem). The Event Viewer has the following Errors in the past 7 days: WindowsUpdateClient - ID 20 - KB967723 (two instances from the update 1/11/2011 but was able to get it installed with a manual download and install). PrintSpooler - ID 55 (many) - Printer Redirect TermDD - ID 56 (one) NfsServer - ID 1006 (one) - Configured it for Active Directory Lookup. GroupPolicy - ID 1058 (22 errors last 7 days) - The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file <filename> from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following: a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller. b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller). c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled. I have not done a great deal of Windows administration over the past several years and am not up to date on the newest operating systems. I've done a great deal of searching on the different errors but have not found any resolutions. Any hints on what to investigate or check on would be greatly apprecitated. Please let me know if there is any additional information that would help with finding a solution. Thanks in advance, Herb
January 19th, 2011 12:07am

Hi Herb, Thanks for posting here. According the information you provide so far, it’s hard to narrow down this issue. There are a lot of possible reasons could cause this issue, for example incompatible driver software or third party software etc. You may plug monitor and input derives and verify server status when this connectivity issue occurred. Meanwhile, could you verify if any dmp file is existed under path %SystemRoot% ? Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2011 11:37am

Hi Herb From the information you gave us, the first thing that came to my mind was the network. You are unable to read/write/access the shared drives, and peform remote connection untill reboot it could be a fautly port on the switch or a faulty NIC. Please check if everything to do with the network is fine while looking for alternative solutions. So check network cable, check switch port, check switch and update firmware as is advised by the manufacturer, check NIC and update driver software. This is a new server so i dont think the problem will be difficult to find... i think... :) Please get back to us if you make any progress.. or none :) tech-nique
January 27th, 2011 12:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics