Windows 2008 Server Recovery Console -- is it still around?
Is there a recovery console now in Windows Server 2008? As part of my standard Windows 2003 32-bit build, I used to install a recovery console via the install CD running: \i386\WINNT32.exe /CMDCONS. This would give me 2 boot options at startup. Has this option gone the way of the dinosaur in W2k8 server. Thanks
August 3rd, 2009 3:02pm

It's called the Recovery Environment. Take alook at:http://blogs.msdn.com/winre/http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770593(WS.10).aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2009 3:36pm

Hi Mike, You can also boot into WinRE from a Windows Server 2008 disk: 1. Put the Windows Server 2008 disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD ". appears. 3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 4. Click Repair your computer. Windows Recovery Environment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Recovery_Environment Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
August 3rd, 2009 10:46pm

Tim,In a virutal environment this isn't an issue since I can have the source ISOs for my different OS veresionsx32 vs x64mounted on any back end storage that can be seen by the virtual and mounted as a virutal CD/DVD.I'm trying to automate the process for my physical servers. I don't want to have to have a (or go looking for) CD/DVDs of that systems OS when its DOA. It seems this new way is more complicated than before. (one simple command to run).I would assume that you would want this WinRE console on a differnt set of spindles then your C:\ (OS) partition. I'm my case not an issue. Can I install WinRE on the D:\ drive? Does WinRE always need to be the first partition on the drive it resides on?Thanks
August 4th, 2009 3:37pm

Hi Mike, You should install WinRE on a separate partition from the Windows Server 2008 partition. It can be installed on Drive D. If you do so, this partition does not need to be the first one (recommend to be the first one) but should be created before the Windows OS partition. To install WinRE on the hard drive, you can refer to the following article: Walkthrough: Create a Windows RE Image http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749147(WS.10).aspx Walkthrough: Deploy a Windows RE Image on Hard Drive http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721939(WS.10).aspx Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
August 5th, 2009 6:18am

Hi Mike, How are things going? I have not heard back from you in a few days and wanted to check on the status of the issue. Please let me know how things turned out. Tim Quan - MSFT
August 7th, 2009 4:29am

Tim, Sorry -- thanks for the update. I was away for a while. I think we will stick to the CD/DVD in the DCs for now. SOmething that was so simple to deploy in W2k3 has now become more cumbersome.Thanks.
August 11th, 2009 1:52pm

Hi Mike, Thank you for the reply. Tim Quan - MSFT
August 11th, 2009 9:45pm

When I enter "bcdedit /enum all" in a command prompt, I see: Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {486650cf-6901-11de-b4be-001fd08604cb} device ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\486650cf-6901-11de-b4be-001fd08604cb\Winre.wim,{486650d0-6901-11de-b4be-001fd08604cb} path \windows\system32\winload.exe description Windows Recovery Environment inherit {bootloadersettings} osdevice ramdisk=[C:]\Recovery\486650cf-6901-11de-b4be-001fd08604cb\Winre.wim,{486650d0-6901-11de-b4be-001fd08604cb} systemroot \windows nx OptIn winpe Yes I am going to try enabling it and see if it boots. I'll report back later.
August 11th, 2009 10:27pm

Yes, the Windows Recovery Environment boots.It offers similar options to those available when booting a Windows install disk.To make it available at boot time, add it's identifierto "displayorder" or "toolsdisplayorder" in {bootmgr}. Do "bcdedit /enum all" to find out the correct idntifier. Also ensure that the image is there (Winre.wim under the path indicated by "bcdedit /enum all").Note: The hidden Winre is supposed to boot if an ordinary boot fails. I have never seen that happen.
August 12th, 2009 10:49pm

Yes, the Windows Recovery Environment boots. It offers similar options to those available when booting a Windows install disk. To make it available at boot time, add it's identifier to "displayorder" or "toolsdisplayorder" in {bootmgr}. Do "bcdedit /enum all" to find out the correct idntifier. Also ensure that the image is there (Winre.wim under the path indicated by "bcdedit /enum all"). Note: The hidden Winre is supposed to boot if an ordinary boot fails. I have never seen that happen. About your "Note" it does happens, but i hate it! not a real recovery console, only image restore mode and CMD for fixmbr fixboot etc.... useless in many cases. To bad that Recovery Console was removed from server 2008. I used to do "magics" with it on 2003.
July 17th, 2012 6:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics