Windows 2008 Server Logon Screen - How do I revert it back to the Windows 2003 look?
I've search high and I've searched low but I just can't find where the setting is to revert the login screen back to the look for Windows 2003. Does anyone know where it is? Thanks! - Joshua
February 29th, 2008 7:49pm

As with Windows Vista this is not possible.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 2nd, 2008 10:27am

That sucks.. really.. it does. Thanks Sander.
March 3rd, 2008 5:37pm

Try this tip for Vista, I think you will be satisfied:http://jsbi.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-to-change-default-vista-logon.html - Bjarne Duelund
March 4th, 2008 3:03pm

However useful, that page only describes how to: Disable showing the user name of the last successful logon Require Ctrl, Alt & Del (which is on by default in Windows Server 2008 in contrast to Windows Vista) In my opinion this doesn't revert the logon screen back to Windows Server 2003.
March 4th, 2008 3:21pm

True - not exactly back to Windows Server 2003, but have you tried it ? It changes so you have to enter the Username and Password, like in Windows Server 2003, so the functionality is almost the same. - Bjarne Duelund
March 4th, 2008 3:42pm

This didn't actually seem to do much on my installations. I tried it via local security and also through GP and no change. Still a bummer. Does anyone know how to get ahold of Terminal Services support? I'm having a huge problem and don't want to burn a support ticket for it. Thanks.
March 4th, 2008 5:37pm

STDFJoshua wrote: This didn't actually seem to do much on my installations. I tried it via local security and also through GP and no change. Still a bummer. As noted, it is not possible to get the same look, but with the trick I referred to, you get the same functionality - I have tested it on a w2k8 server.Users have to enterusername and password, you won't see a domain drop down list but can login to other domains with "domain\username" as you also can in w2k3. Did you do a "gpupdate" when you tested it ? - Bjarne Duelund
March 5th, 2008 11:04am

I just tried this and it worked great for me. Our 2008 box is just a sandbox and not a member of a domain, but here are before and after shots.You be the JudgeBefore Changing the 2 Group Policy valuesAfter Changing themPS: I did NOT even have to run GPUpdate. I just logged out of my TS Session and then launched a new one.-Casper42
March 6th, 2008 12:42am

Hey Duelund - do you know how to change the Picture that is blank in those screen shots I posted?I remember finding the area on Vista but I dont have a Vista machine at work and I cant seem to find it on 2008 Server.I want to mess with my co-worker and put his Corporate Security Photo on the sandbox for his logon.-Casper42
March 6th, 2008 12:46am

Hi Casper - I think it's an individual user setting. - Duelund
March 6th, 2008 10:04am

Thank you for bringing this issue up.The server logon screen looks like a Vista machine. I don't like Vista for many reasons and this is one of them. Bringing this user interface to an enterprise level product looks unprefessional and lame! I would like to get back the windows 2000/3 look and feel of the logon screen, please. P.S: posted this reply using my trustworthy windows XP SP2, a stable and user friendly operating system. I will not switch over to Vista anytime soon.
March 7th, 2008 3:51am

Casper42 said:I just tried this and it worked great for me. Our 2008 box is just a sandbox and not a member of a domain, but here are before and after shots.You be the JudgeBefore Changing the 2 Group Policy valuesAfter Changing themPS: I did NOT even have to run GPUpdate. I just logged out of my TS Session and then launched a new one.-Casper42How did you get this work? I did whatever the web page mentioned above but still couldn't get it to work. How did you change the Group Policy values?
July 25th, 2008 9:43am

This worked great. I have a system used for QA and I hated seeing all of the windows and sql user accounts, it looks non-professional. Thanks for the help!
August 31st, 2009 11:51pm

Hi Casper42, Thanks for posting the pictures and answering this thread. I am also running Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller logging on using RDP and I need to set only one logon profile for my 22 clients. that will not display last logon and no CTRL+ALT+DEL functionality. Are you able to send me the step by step of the actual configurations? Thanks in advance?
November 26th, 2010 8:10am

hi guys, I have the same problem and tried the same thing for this. However, my logon screen doesn't hide the logins but showed the last logged in user name, and a "other users" on the right side. I am also wondering if this is achievable in Windows 7 professional, b/c that's i am using and i have been trying for several days that this hasn't worked for me yet. Please advise, and thank you for your help. Dennis
April 6th, 2011 7:32pm

I also follow the same and its work.
June 14th, 2011 2:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics