Windows 2008 Server Freezes or Reboots unexpectedly
Windows 2008 Server Freezes or Reboots unexpectedly. I have to hold the power button to shut it down, then restart it. This is happening frequently. Has anyone else had this problem, and have you resolved it?? Please advise.Thanks!
November 4th, 2009 3:06am

Hi, I understand that the Windows 2008 Server Freezes or Reboots unexpectedly. Let us first follow the steps below to perform a clean boot to the problematic server to exclude the 3rd party services or applications possibilities. If the issue doesnt appear after clean boot, disable fewer 3rd party services until find the root cause. Clean Boot the Windows Server 2008 manually a. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. b. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue. c. On the General tab, click Selective startup. d. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box. e. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all. f. Click OK, and then click Restart. If the issue exists in Clean Boot, we may need to collect the memory dump saved during the unexpected reboot to debug the error. Unfortunately, forum is not the best place for analyzing dump. Its suggested to contact Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) so that a dedicated Support Professional can help you on this issue. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers. I hope the issue can be fixed soon. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. Regards, Bruce
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 4th, 2009 10:35am

Hi , With the experience of handling the crashes and hangs, i have the following checklist inline with bruce a) This might cause due to an application 98% of time its 3rd party applications b) advantage of clean boot / safe mode is that you will not load the 3rd party drivers / dll's and run the OS with microsoft drivers / dll's and if there if you encounter a problem then its pretty much to do with either -- handle leak(of an application -- memory leak -- 100%cpu utiilizationc) If the issue doesnt occur in clean boot then the other option is toload the 3rd partydrivers / applcations one after the otherand for every inclusion make sure you restart the server.d)If the above steps did not resolve the issue then you might have a look at the hardware front either. You could suspect your poweroutlet, RAM issues, etc..e) You should follow Bruce suggestion of crash dumpand send the dumpfor analysis to microsoft.
November 4th, 2009 10:53am

Unfortunately the machine locks up even after aclean boot. And then I have to manually power it down by holding the power button. Are there other diagnostics I can perform??
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 10th, 2009 1:01am

Hi, Thanks for your update. I understand that the issue exists in Clean Boot. To this situation, we may need to analyze the performance log and memory dump file to find the root cause. Since the forum is not the best channel to troubleshoot this issue, I would suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Support service to troubleshoot this issue efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please take a look at the web site listed below: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607 Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. Regards, Bruce
November 12th, 2009 12:22pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics