Windows 2008 Security Templates
Does 2008 havea default set of security templates available just like in 2003 etc?
November 9th, 2007 3:08am

Yes, you'll find these under c:\windows\security\templates. You import these through the Local Security Policy-MMC.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 9th, 2007 1:22pm

That is where they were in 2003. I have just done a fresh install of RC0 2008 but there are not any templates under c:\windows\security\templates
November 10th, 2007 2:13pm

I'm wondering the same thing. C:\windows\security\templates is empty on the RC0 fresh install.
November 19th, 2007 8:06pm

Well, on a B3 they're there... But you guys are right, on a RC0 they are gone. Cant seem to find any documentation on it though...
November 20th, 2007 5:45pm

DC security.inf was created when I executed a dcpromo. I would like to get a copy of the templates that were on B3but I dont have B3install files. Is that possible? You could email them to me etc My email address is coomera@hotmail.com
November 21st, 2007 12:35am

My email address is coomera@hotmail.com If you could email me the security templates that were in B3 it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
November 23rd, 2007 3:00am

You can still download the VHD for Windows Server Codename "Longhorn" Beta 3 here. In my opinion thisis the easiest and fastest way to get your hands on Beta 3 files.
November 24th, 2007 4:35pm

I do not see them on B3. C:\Windows\security\templates only has a hidden folder called "policies" which does not contain security templates. I read somewhere that the security templates feature is now used to create a baseline template of your system as it is a point in time rather than lock down the system from a default install of Windows. With the introduction of roles, the files and permissions that you are not using, are just not on the system, and when you add a role, Windows assigns NTFS permissions on the files/folders it is adding. I would assume, in a locked down, secure fasion. Can anyone confirm this?
November 26th, 2007 10:10pm

Ifyou download the VHDs for Windows Server Codename "Longhorn" Beta 3 as mentioned by Sander Berkouwer above........................ http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9aa65956-4a13-46a3-9711-82939a041792&displaylang=en you will get 1 template for a DC. The other defaultsecurity templates( as available just like in 2003 in c:\windows\security\templates)are not there. Im still trying to locateanyone whohas any useful information on default Windows 2008 Security Templates.
December 4th, 2007 2:07am

Those templates are ancient and should not be used. They shouldn't even have been used under Windows Server 2003. Instead, use either the relevant Security Guide (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/prodtech/windowsserver2003/w2003hg/sgch00.mspxfor Windows Server 2003), or use the Security Configuration Wizard. The templates in the box were originally designed for NT 4.0 SP4. They were updated, slightly, for Windows 2000, and just barely, for Windows Server 2003. However, they are essentially untested and may cause severe application compatibility problems. In general, the Security Configuration Wizard will give you far better results than any of the templates in the guides when it comes to attack surface reduction because it provides a specific hardening strategy for your server, not a generic one. It is is the preferred approach if you feel that the security that the Server Manager tools gives you is not enough.
December 7th, 2007 11:20pm

Not sure how every response on this thread is an answer, but Jesper is right. The templates are gone and you should use the SCW interface to set the policies in 2008. See here for more: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/05/28/default-security-templates-in-windows-2008.aspx Mike Crowley Check out My Blog!
August 30th, 2010 1:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics