Windows 2008 SP1 Disk Space Question
I'm guessing I already know the answer to this one, but if I want to install SP1 on a W2K8 server and it's asking for 8GB of free space and that's not going to be an option is there any way to direct the install to unpack the files onto a different partition?
March 23rd, 2011 7:37am

Hello, no, as you already thought. How large is the used disk/volume for the OS? Btw. i assume you talk about SP2 as SP1 is already included in Windows server 2008. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2011 7:57am

No matter what, you really want your OS disk to be atleast 40GB. Due to the winsxs folder under system32. That will grow continously as you deploy updates and applications to your server. As of today, I dont know a way to shrink/remove these files..
March 23rd, 2011 9:22am

Hi, Following is the approximate disk space requirements for Windows Server 2008 service pack installation. Installation method Approximate disk space requirements Stand-alone installation x86-based: 1.8 GB to 2.9 GB x64-based: 3.2 GB to 4.9 GB ia64-based: 2.9 GB to 3.2 GB Windows Update x86-based: 350 MB x64-based: 600 MB ia64-based: 2.25 GB Integrated installation x86-based: 9 GB x64-based: 12 GB ia64-based: 13 GB http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351467(WS.10).aspx#Before By the way, if the system ask for 8GB’s free space, you will not be able to perform the installation before you get those space. In addition, it is always recommend that you plan your disk configuration carefully. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2011 11:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics