Windows 2008 R2 desktop will not load
I setup a 2008 R2 std. after joining it to the domain using my domain acct I ran DCpromo and after the server rebooted , when I log in I get a blue backgound and no desktop, I can see the mouse, I can run crtl-alt-del and get to the menu but if I try and run task manager it is blank as well I can log off though, I created another Dom admin acct and can log on the server with no issues. I have deleted my profile from the server and deleted any folders in the users folder. I looked up http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970879 but I cant use the local group because it's a domain controller. Any ideas?
June 24th, 2010 6:57pm

Hi SubQ1, Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum. According to your description, I understand that you got a blank desktop when you login your new promoted DC. This is expected behavior when you remove all the permissions from the Users group and UAC is turned on. When UAC is turned on, the Administrative users need to be members of the Users group, by default this is through the Interactive or Authenticated Users groups. If these two are removed from the local Users group, you will need to either add a group the user is a member of to the local Users group or else add the user directly to it. Reason it happened after it was a DC is because the Users group in the domain was missing the Interactive and 'Authenticated Users' groups from the members tab. We had to use the following commands on a DC to add those back in: Net localgroup Users Interactive /add Net localgroup Users "Authenticated Users" /add Another workaround is to turn off the UAC. Wilson Jia TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2010 6:02am

Dear Customer, I just wanted to say hi, and to see how things are going. I haven't heard back from you yet and I was wondering if there are any updates on the service request. Thanks. Sincerely Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 28th, 2010 6:50am

Just wanted to say thanks to Wilson Jia! Your solution resolved my problem.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 8th, 2011 1:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics