Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Black Startup Screen / won't boot
I recently installed Windows 2008 R2 SP1 and rebooted the server and it was fine and came back up as expected. The Server is a HP BL460c. I then downloaded and installed the latest Proliant Support Pack for the Blade and installed that and rebooted. All was going good at this point. I then downloaded the latest HP Firmware CD and ran that on the Server. It ran without error then asked to reboot as normal after running the firmware CD. However now the server will not boot. It goes through the post part and then gives a quick 1-2 seconds of the startup progress bar of 2008 R2 then goes to a blank black screen. The server still boots fine into safe mode and safe mode with networking, but will not do a normal boot. I saw a KB that Microsoft has about a problem with Black Screen Startup problems. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981275 This seems like it may be my problem as it occured after a Firmware update. However it also states that this was corrected in SP1 and therefore the system should already have the fix for this problem. Is the info that I am reading about this hotfix being part of SP1 incorrect? If so how do I get the server to boot now to install this hotfix since you can't install things in safe mode? What steps should I take next? Call HP support or Microsoft Support or just wipe and re-install? This is 1 node out of a 6 node Cluster so I am hoping I don't have to re-install. Thanks, Dan
March 12th, 2011 11:55pm

log on to the safe mode and remove all the installed firmaware/drivers then again boot in to the normal mode and check the behaviour and if the servers is too critical please donot hesistate to call microsfot to resolve the problem as early as possible. http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2011 1:49am

I re-installed the server from scratch and it appears not to be an SP1 issue. I have re-installed Windows 2008 R2 non SP1 and it installed fine, etc... As soon as I enable to the Hyper-V role the server goes back to the problem with just a blank black screen at startup. Seems to be an issue with the latest firmware from HP for the blade and the Hyper-V role. I'll give HP a call first before I call MS as I think this is an HP screw up in their latest firmware release.
March 13th, 2011 4:31pm

Hi, Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums. Is there any error message at startup? Please log in Safe Mode, check in Event Viewer to see if any related error message is logged. In my opinion, the black screen should be caused by BIOS or firmware. Please contact HP to refresh the firmware for you. Best Regards Dale Qiao TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 14th, 2011 3:50am

Please, check Microsoft KB 975484 (article ID 975484) updated 03/16/2011 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975484/en-us) Mario
March 16th, 2011 6:46pm

Hello, If you check the latest revision on the HP firmware CD nothing is prepared to use the new SP1. The firmware version of BL460 G1 is not compatible with SP1 and maybe if you call HP Support they will tell you that now you are not supported. The new PSP bundle based with SP1 will be available soon (April 6th) and we are hoping than HP will add new firmware bios for blades. Regards Didier
March 24th, 2011 6:23am

Dear Didier, I have the same problem on my DL380 G5, after installation of PSP 8.70 released April 5th not work. Dan you have solved your problem with this? Regards Angelo
April 8th, 2011 12:53pm

I have a similar problem. I installed SP1 on one of our Windows 2008 R2 Domain controllers. Now it won't boot. It tries, but right after the Windows progress bars slides by a few times it reboots. It won't boot in safe mode or with the last known good configuration. I try to the as System Recovery but I get to the point where it is requesting me to log on to the computer as a local user and it has a drop down box for the username and only has Administrator listed. The problem is, Domain Controllers don't have "local" accounts. I have tried our standard password for this and also any other password that we have ever used before, but to no avail, it won't let me continue. I really do not want to rebuild this machine if I don't have to. Any one have a suggestion for this?
April 11th, 2011 12:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics