Windows 2008 R2 Printing Questions - Understanding 32-bit and 64-bit
I am having difficulties deploying Windows 7 when it comes to printing. Traditionally we have used log-on scripts to dynamically map network printers based on Active Directory group membership. My desire is to be able to map a network printer for a Windows 7 PC without the user having to be an administrator. I am somewhat confused by the point and print restrictions group policy. I thought I had discovered this as the answer to my problems, but have had problems in getting it to work properly. My curent print server is a Windows 2003 server. I decided that it was time to create a new print server using Windows 2008. A reference on the Microsoft Technet "Control Printer Driver Installation Security" speaks towards Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, so I decided that it was time to create the first Windows 2008 R2 server in my environment. I created a Windows 2008 R2 server in my virtual environment, but since it only operates in 64-bit, I am not sure that it is a good fit for me. Our organization has not yet begun to embrace 64-bit and I don't really understand how a 64-bit server will work in my predominantly 32-bit environment. Some of the questions I have are:(1) Does a Windows 2008 R2 server support both 32-bit and 64-bit printer drivers? For example, can I install a printer using a 32-bit driver that will be used by my Windows 7 32-bit clents?(2) Can a Windows 7 32-bit client connect to a printer on a Windows 2008 R2 print server that has a 64-bit driver?(3) Are there any good articles that would help me in sorting out my 32-bit versus 64-bit printing questions and issues?If there are any kind souls that can share some knowledge on this, I will be very grateful. THANK YOU in advance.<!---->
January 18th, 2010 7:36pm

Hi David,The following install the print driversStep 1. Share out the x64 printer==================================On the x64 Windows Server 2008 R2Login with the Domain Administrator accountInstall the Printer using x64 driverShare out the printer Step 2. Connect to the print server & install printer & drivers================================ On a x86 Windows 7 Login with the Domain Administrator accountClick on Start, eg.\\x64W2K8R2 PrintServer Double click on "Printers" install the files neededBrowse for installation file for x86 driver which is inside the install CDCompleted the installation. Step 3. Add the x86 Print Drivers================================== On the Printer Installed Windows 7Add the x86 print driver filesOn the Printer PropertiesClick on the "Sharing" tabClick on the "Additional Drivers..."Check the box for 'x86 Type 3 - User Mode'Add the files needed from Windows 7 (Auto) and part of the file from the installation CDTry to make it short so will be simple Good Luck Links you may want to checkouthttp://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/thread/6067a35d-d9ac-4f52-8beb-9aca3f116e9e
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 19th, 2010 1:15am

Hi David. I can tell you we went from XP Server 2003 on 32 bit to Server 2008 64 BIT and the ease of use was great and speed vastly superior. HOWEVER, we get issues with COLOUR printing, see my post AUSTRALIA.. Printing issues using Server 2008... You have to insdtall the actual DRIVERS on the server to use colour printing not the Easy Print function. This does not seem to be a microsoft issue from what I can see and what we have tested.. It is the poor design of the printer manufacturers drivers not propoerly making true 64 bit drivers. PCL drivers MUST also be used not PS. Hopes this also helps. Marcus
June 26th, 2010 10:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics