Windows 2008 R2 Loopback Adapter Unidentified Network Direct Server Return Load Balancing - Please Help
Hello, I have recently upgraded a few servers from Widnows 2003 to Windows 2008. In order to load balance the application we need to use Direct Server Return which uses the Loopback. After installing the loopback I noticed it comes up "unidentified network" and as it sends packets it doesnt recieve any. It also does not participate within the load balanced VIP. I found a number of articles on the web all leading back to this basic article. http://blog.loadbalancer.org/direct-server-return-on-windows-2008-using-loopback-adpter/ Which states to set the following 3 parameters: netsh interface ipv4 set interface "net" weakhostreceive=enabled netsh interface ipv4 set interface "loopback" weakhostreceive=enabled netsh interface ipv4 set interface "loopback" weakhostsend=enabled This articale seems to be the exact issue, however after performing the tasks it does not resolve the issue. I have double checked netsh ... show interface and weak send/receive is set to enabled. The config on 2003 was to set the IP of the loopback to the ip of the vip, everything else is default (no GW, no dns). 2008 has a number of items in the network config that 2003 did not have like Link-Layer Topology..., and QoS, should I leave those checked or uncheck them? I also tried rebooting, changing the binding orders, uninstalling/reinstalling the loopback, setting a metric to 1. Nothing worked. This is very frustrating as the linked article should fix my problem but it isnt. Can anyone think of anything else that I need to do or try? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
February 24th, 2012 10:41am

This is a great PDF thanks. Unfortunately it didn't help. Changed mask to /32, I need to leave client for MS and File/Print but the rest was removed in properties, binding order is top. All steps in 26-28 were done. I even had a coworker do them on another box to ensure it wasnt me. No luck.Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 24th, 2012 10:59am

As a test I removed MS and File/Print from the network bindings. It didnt help. Also in case it matters these are Win2k8 R2 64 Bit on Dell 610's. Also there are 4 physical NIC's, 2 are disabled and 2 are teamed, so no multihoming.Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
February 24th, 2012 11:07am

In case you missed the fine print -you can have a work around by assigning the load balancer virtual IP to the main IP interface as a secondary IP address. I use Cisco IOS IP SLB for load balancing - setting up the VIP as the secondary IP works fine for me. I also tested the suggestion from http://blog.loadbalancer.org/direct-server-return-on-windows-2008-using-loopback-adpter/ also have it working. Let me know if you have any luck with this. -Ken
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 25th, 2012 10:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics