Windows 2008 R2 Event Log Category Text Doesn't Show Up
I have built a DLL that contains message resources so I can display the message text in the event log. I have added the following entries under the "...\Eventlog\Application\DB2 Tap" key: CategoryCount REG_DWORD 6 CategoryMessageFile REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Work\Db2TAPDllx64.dll EventMessageFile REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Work\Db2TAPDllx64.dll TypesSupported REG_DWORD 7 The event message text shows up fine in the event viewer, but on Windows 2008 R2 only, the category text does not show up. I get the category numbers instead, i.e (1). The entries for the category text in the .MC file look like: MessageId=1 Facility=None Severity=Success SymbolicName=DB2TAP_CATEGORY_STARTUP Language=English Startup . Where None=0 and Success=0. The category text shows up on other Windows Server versions, just not on Windows 2008 R2. Any ideas?
October 22nd, 2010 10:46am

Hi MrBxxxx, for self-developed DLL and Event Log Category Text issue, I suggest you first check the following link: How do I create an Event Log source under Vista? http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/00a043ae-9ea1-4a55-8b7c-d088a4b08f09/ Also, I'd like to inform you that this issue seems to be a general Windows Development Issue. As this forum focuses on Windows Server specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to the following forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/threads The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 25th, 2010 3:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics