Windows 2008 R2 DCOM Changes?
Hi, We use a shared app to host our software package and have instructions on how to configure DCOM to ensure it works but remains secure. Our current instructions advise to only amend the My Computer Edit Limits section in DCOM but in Windows 2008 R2 I have to now make changes to the Default rights to allow the access to work. If I don't change the Edit Default I just get access denied errors. Does anyone know whether this is an intentional change or an oversight? Regards Chris
April 26th, 2010 12:28pm

Hi, I haven’t heard of any significant change of DCOM security in Windows Server 2008 R2. I am not sure how your software package works. Based on my understanding, it is normal that you need to grant access permission to the users if they are not a member of Administrators group. By default, only SYSTEM and Administrators has the computer-wide access permission. The following article could be helpful to better understand the DCOM computer restriction settings: DCOM Security Enhancements http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738214(WS.10).aspx In order to reduce the security risk, you may consider configuring the application specific permission instead of changing the Default rights: Set Application-specific COM Security Configuration http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772275.aspx Hope the information is helpful for your work. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 27th, 2010 9:56am

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the links and see how I get on. We normally Allow limited access to My Computer DCOM settings and then allow specific user access to our shared app. I'll post back if I get any unusual findings Regards Chris
April 30th, 2010 10:36am

Hi, How's everything going? Please do not hesitate to respond back if you need further assistance.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 4th, 2010 4:24am

Hi, Sorry, I've not had chance to look yet. I'll get back to you when I have a further update Regards Chris
May 6th, 2010 4:12pm

Hi, Thanks for your update. Please feel free to update me here if you need further assistance. Joson Zhou TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 7th, 2010 4:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics