Windows 2008 R2 DCOM Changes?
Hi, We use a shared app to host our software package and have instructions on how to configure DCOM to ensure it works but remains secure. Our current instructions advise to only amend the My Computer Edit Limits section in DCOM but in Windows 2008 R2 I have to now make changes to the Default rights to allow the access to work. If I don't change the Edit Default I just get access denied errors. Does anyone know whether this is an intentional change or an oversight? Regards Chris
April 26th, 2010 12:28pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'll have a look at the links and see how I get on. We normally Allow limited access to My Computer DCOM settings and then allow specific user access to our shared app. I'll post back if I get any unusual findings Regards Chris
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2010 10:36am

Hi, Sorry, I've not had chance to look yet. I'll get back to you when I have a further update Regards Chris
May 6th, 2010 4:12pm

Hi, We have been looking at DCOM again and we can't understand the logic behind the security settings. We seem to now need to set Edit Default under My Computer and include the security group which we are wanting to use. We used to use Edit Limits and this was fine but it's no longer the case We would expect to add the user group into Edit Limits under My Computer and then configure our application security for the same user group but if we do this only we get access denied which doesn't seem right. We now have to add the My Computer default setting. The help says Click the Edit Limits button to set access permission limits on applications that determine their own permissions. Click the Edit Default button to select user accounts and groups that are assigned or denied permissions, by default, to access applications on this computer. This setting does not affect COM+ applications. Any further help on this would be appriciated Regards Chris
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2011 10:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics