Windows 2008 R2 Cluster Service does not start

I am creating a Windows 2008 R2 Cluster. I have got everything installed, patched and when I try to start the cluster service I get this error saying:

"Windows could not start the Cluster Service on Local Computer. For more information, review the system event log"

Then, I go to the event log and this is the error I get. Event 7024

"The cluster service service terminated with service-specific error. The system cannot find the file specified.."

Has anyone ran into this issue and if so help me!

Thanks in advance!

December 14th, 2012 11:48pm

It could be any number of things. I'd recommend running 'cluster log /g' and then review the cluster.log file located in the C:\Windows\Cluster\Reports file for more details about why the cluster is failing to start.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 15th, 2012 6:58am

Hi,

Event ID 7024 indicates general service stop operation error; it is not specified for cluster error.

I found some article describes similar issues, and these solutions were confirmed by customers, you may try these solutions.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps to reinstall the Failover Clustering feature:

1. On each computer that you want to make a cluster node, use the Server Manager console to remove the Failover Clustering feature.
  2. Restart each computer from which you have removed the Failover Clustering feature.
  3. Add the Failover Clustering feature on all these computers again.
  4. Run cluster validation against these computers.
  5. Try creating a cluster.

If the problem is not resolved after you reinstall the Failover Clustering feature, follow these steps, and then run the reinstallation again.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

The Cluster Service service terminated with service-specific error
http://blogs.technet.com/b/rspitz/archive/2010/08/26/the-cluster-service-service-terminated-with-service-specific-error-183-0xb7.aspx
Failover Clustering Fails to Start
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winserverClustering/thread/33878041-c367-44ff-9211-aea89da387ff
You receive an error message, and event ID 1289 is logged when you try to create a cluster on Windows Server 2008-based computers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973838

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

December 17th, 2012 3:16am

Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem or do you have any further progress?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

December 21st, 2012 8:57am

I am happy to provide you the resolution for my issue. We found that a registry setting had to be modified to match the paired server.

From regedit: HKEY Local Machine > Current control set > services > ClusSvc > start reg_dword and we changed it to 2 from 4 which matched the clustered server that was working. 

Once we did this the service started up and we were able to cluseter it.

Thanks for everyones help!

December 21st, 2012 10:26pm

Hi All,

I am unable to start Cluster Services in single Cluster node , node is part  4 node Cluster, 3 nodes are working fine.

Getting mentioned Error, i am starting Cluster Service... reboot of node not helped here..

So, As per my study in open forum, it is happening because of Cluster file corruption via Antivirus,

So, I removed Antivirus but it not solved.

So, i evict this node from Failover Cluster, removed Failover Feature, Restarted the server

after Restart, re-added Cluster Feature.

Opened Failover Cluster Wizard from any other healthy cluster node and added the previous evicted node without failover cluster tests

Now, Cluster node again become part of 4 node cluster...

July 11th, 2015 11:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics