Windows 2008 R2 - persistent routes are ignored after reboot
Hi, I am having a problem on 6 x Windows 2008 R2 servers. We have 2 x interfaces, one designated front end and the other back end. The front end interface has a default route (route print shows this 0.0.0.0 route as metric default). For accessing our back end network, which existings solely on 10.0.0.0/8 networks, we have a static route configured. The static route works until the machine is rebooted. Is is configured with "-p" for persistance. If I reboot the machine I can see that the static route still exists. Running a tracert back to one of the 10.0.0.0/8 networks results in the traffic trying to be routed through the front end interface (should be via back end interface). If I delete and readd the exact same static route everything works again as expected. Any ideas? Thanks Matthew
July 4th, 2010 6:02pm

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know. We are looking forward to your reply.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2010 9:55pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. Would you please diagram the network topology of your current environment in detail? Please check if the relevant static route records are in the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip \Parameters\PersistentRoutes And please make sure there is no gateway configured on the Internal NIC of the problematic server. In this case, we need to run the route print >c:\route.txt command and run the Tracert XXXX >c:\tracert.txt command on the server. Now send the two files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com Thanks, Miles Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Hi I have a Windows 2003 R2 server having the same issue. The server has two NIC and in the same subnet. After the server is rebooted, the persistent route is present in the route print. But only when I remove and add it manually the route is effective. Could you suggest me what needs to be done. Thanks
November 16th, 2010 7:27am

I ran into this problem and the only way I got this working is to assign the persistent route to the interface. Examples: > route PRINT > route PRINT -4 > route PRINT -6 > route PRINT 157* .... Only prints those matching 157* > route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0 157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2 destination^ ^mask ^gateway metric^ ^ Interface^ If IF is not given, it tries to find the best interface for a given gateway. Assigning the route to the interface is the answer.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 20th, 2011 7:40am

This worked for me after I added the -p switch. It showed up in the HKLM path. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757323(v=ws.10).aspx Thanks!
March 27th, 2012 10:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics