Windows 2008 R2 - Recovery Console -- is it there now?
Hello -- I was wondering if Microsoft put back in the recovery console option "/cmdcons" back into the Windows 2008 R2 build. In the 2k3 days you could install a recovery console on the server as a secondary boot option by running the command winnt32.exe /cmdcons from the cmd prompt after you built the server. This simple setup was removed from Window 2008 (non-R2) version. So I'm tied back to having a DVD attached to each rack in the data center if it need it. (BOO)I thought I read somewhere that Microsoft was putting the "Recovery Console" boot option/deployment back into R2? (i.e. something as simple as the old cmdcons setup)Does anyone know if this is the case? This is the only thing I have left to finalize on my standard build/image.Thanks in advance.
December 30th, 2009 11:54pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. As far as I know, the Recovery Console is still not available on Windows Server 2008 R2. Please understand that we provided a new function called by Windows Recovery Environment since Windows Server 2008. For more information about Windows Recovery Environment, please take a look at the following article:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770593(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_Windows_Recovery_Environment_overview As for how to boot into Windows Recovery Environment, please perform the following steps: 1. Put the Windows Server 2008 R2 disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 4. Click Repair your computer. Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 31st, 2009 11:12am

Hi, I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know. We are looking forward to your reply.
January 4th, 2010 4:33am

Unfortunatly this answers my question, the WRE console doesn't play nice with the automated HP Smart Start deployment tools, plus I'd like to have one way of running the Recovery Environment console for all my servers (phsyical & virutal). In a virutal world, I'll just have the ISO mounted where I can get it if needed -- no biggie. For physicalls, I'll just go back to "in case of emergency" break this jewell case ;)The links were helpfull -- I will use them to continue testing to see if i can get it to work.Thanks.
January 19th, 2010 10:18pm

Hello Mike,WinRE was the replacement for Recovery Console. There should be unattended setting to allow you to install or not install this during setup.Post setup, there should be an option using reagentc.exe(in system32 folder) to remove or install ithttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd799242(WS.10).aspxThanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
January 20th, 2010 3:39am

Hello, I used the full vss backup of c:\ with windows 2008 r2, and stored the backup on e:\ I wanted to recover c:\ from windows 2008 r2 setup disk but it cannot find any backup on e:\ . The windows 2008 server setup disk did see the backup but it is not compatible with r2 backup system. I am kinda stuck, here. Does anybody have an idea? Thank you, Dan
May 20th, 2010 2:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics