Windows 2008 Printer Server issues
Hello, We just deployed a new Windows 2008 server to run our ERP DB/Server and Printer Server. All the printers have been added and work just fine for all the users through normal printing. On the other hand to run our ERP (Syteline 6) the EXE is located on the server. When we try to print from ERP the document is being sent to the Windows 2008 server through a \\server\printername However nothing comes out at all on any printers... Event viewer has no logs for this. I replicated the printers on a Windows 2003 box and they work fine with the same network path . Looks to me a s some kind of a permission issue, but I have no idea which one.
August 11th, 2009 7:01pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. From your description, I understand that the documents cannot be printed when using ERP program. This issue is caused by many factors, to isolate this issue, we would like to confirm if the printers can work properly when printing with other programs on the problematic machine. In addition, we need to confirm how the ERP application prints to the network printer since we are not familiar with it. Meanwhile, Print.exe does not work in Windows Server 2008/Vista due to a SMB2 protocol. You may disable SMB2 on Windows 2008 server to test again. To disable SMB 2.0 for Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 clients: sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi sc config mrxsmb20 start= disabled Provided the commands to enable SMB 2 if required later To enable SMB 2.0 for Windows Vista / Server 2008 clients: sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc config mrxsmb20 start= auto Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2009 2:15pm

Hi, ERP is Syteline a very rare breed indeed. (it runs on Progress DB) Not a DOS based program. As far as I know the print.exe never gets used here... however I am going ask our contractor guy that actually codes the ERP. Either way... This is replicatable on over 10 printers. If I map the printer to the Win2008 server I can print normally from any client, Win2000, WinXP and Vista. When I print Forms from ERP (This is a big different then direct print) The job goes to Win2003 server Jetforms printer (which is nothing but a form processor) which outputs the result of the job to Win2008 server in the form of \\Win2008\Printer. That works without any problems from any client. The part that doesn't work is when I start ERP (on any client) that runs EXE from the server. In there I can do any kind of a report (that doesnt need Forms and goes directly to Win2008 sever) which send the print job directly to \\Win2008\Printer and that chokes. No errors and nothing comes out :( The server that ERP was moved from was a Windows 2000 previously. Printers were installed with the same shares/IP's Everything is pointing to some kind of permission/security that was added from 2003 to 2008 server. I am going to ask our contractor when he gets in today to create a instance so I can see if I can print that by running ERP client direclty on the server. As well as double check print.exe stuff. Thanks
August 12th, 2009 3:16pm

Hi Dimitri Z,Thanks for the update.Please feel free to let me know if there is any update on this issue. Many Thanks,Miles
August 14th, 2009 4:46am

Hi, I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know. We are looking forward to your reply.
August 17th, 2009 4:59am

Hi Miles, I am trying to get the conractor to set up a test environment for me. Unfortunately am not sure when he is going to do it. :( Given the situation we have all our printing routed to a Windows 2003 server which works fine. Not sure if they will even let me get any more Windows 2008 servers at this point as it will cost them more $ to figure it out rather then go with a working solution of Windows 2003. Thanks
August 17th, 2009 3:13pm

Hi Dimitri,Thanks for the post.I understand that you are trying to get the contractor to set up a test environment, but now you have all the printing routed to Windows 2003 Server for temporary use.Given this situation, you can feel free to follow up this post when you are available.Many Thanks,Miles
August 19th, 2009 4:43am

Hi Dimitri. Are you by any chance using COLOUR printers? We have severe problems with colour printing under Server 2008 UNLESS the actual drivers are insstalled on the ACTUAL server. Monochrome printers (not colour switched to mono) works no problems at all. I suspect if it is colour printers then it is a PRINTER driver issue and you should try installing the actual drivers on the server and use PCL drivers NOT postcript (PS) Marcus
June 26th, 2010 10:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics